frozen water bottles for chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
why not just freeze a bunch of bottles then dunk them in starsan for 60secs then right into the boil pot to chill it? ive heard of people freezing sanitized water then adding that, but i dont want to dilute my batch with more water.

I am sure someone has done something like this, but I would be a little concerned. Plastic in 209 degree water? Depends on the plastic, but something could perhaps melt?

Why not just fill up a bath tub and place the pot in there and surround it with ice bottles? No sanitizing and much easier.

It seem like a lot of people are also exploring the "No Chill" as well. Although I myself have yet to try it.

Yep. There's quite a few threads on this and beyond sanitation, the main worry was the plastic sitting in wort that's hotter than the bottle was designed for.

I did an experiment with an ice paddle that's designed to chill hot soups down to fridge temps in restaurants and had some improved cooling with that. Not nearly as good as an IC, but worth trying if you can't do an IC or don't have water temps cold enough to get the last 20 or 30 degrees out of it.

if the labels are attached with glue on the bottles, i would think the plastic would be fine but the glue from the label would dissolve into the beer at high temps
possibly?

I suspect there are a good number of people who do this and virtually all of them will say it doesn't seem to affect their beer at all. (I am one of them -- I've done this a bunch in the past and never had the impression that it had any bad effect on my beer.) There's also a good number of people who have never tried this who will tell you that it is problematic because . . . . You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. I personally say that it will cool your wort faster that putting your kettle in a water bath. (Bestter to do both.) And that you're almost assuredly running less risk cooling faster with plastic bottles than cooling slowly without. Slow cooling is riskier than the bottles.

Yeah I would say it could work but I don't think I would personally do it until the wort gets down to where my immersion chiller starts to become ineffective. Usually once it's down to 80F in the summer it takes a while to cool it down to pitching temp which is about 70 for me.

Back