Freezing your equipment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frolickingmonkey

Reaction score
Check out the awesome thing that I just did! :p Can you pick out the autosiphon and tubing in this block of ice? I accidentally left these items in a tray of sanitizer, on the front porch, and this was the result.

frozen stuff.jpg

Good to see that - I thought by the thread title you meant something else because it sure is cold in the NW this week.

LOL

Good to see that - I thought by the thread title you meant something else because it sure is cold in the NW this week.

LOL
Yes, I narrowly escaped a frozen faucet this morning. I hope we don't see a repeat of last December.

This crap is getting ridiculous. I live in the PNW so that I rarely see 20's, almost never see the teens.

I've had my bike parked the last two days (she'll be parked tomorrow) and taken the car. My motorcycle gear is good to about 20 - past that and I start loosing feeling in extremities. Don't see under 20 enough to warrant better gear. Bike knows better when it's super cold too and is grumpy about starting.

Now I don't want you "cold staters" piping up. I know that 20 is nothing, that's why I don't live in your state.

My blackberry wine is getting a hell of a cold crash. Hopefully it doesn't freeze solid... (it's in sankey's so I'm not too concerned about a rupture).

I left a carboy full of sanitizer on the back porch once. Wasn't aware it was supposed to get so cold and woke up the next morning to a big pile of shattered glass on the porch.

The cool thing about our unusually cold temps here in the PNW is that I'm about to brew a lager w/o temp control! The closet I ferment in has been about 50 degrees the last week or so. Of course, as soon as I brew the lager (this weekend) the weather will probably warm up and my plans will be ruined...

I left a carboy full of sanitizer on the back porch once. Wasn't aware it was supposed to get so cold and woke up the next morning to a big pile of shattered glass on the porch.

That sucks! My condolences. At least it wasn't beer, but I'd hate to loose any of my carboys.

Check out the awesome thing that I just did! :p Can you pick out the autosiphon and tubing in this block of ice? I accidentally left these items in a tray of sanitizer, on the front porch, and this was the result.

I accidently left a mason jar and a better bottle full of water on the back porch the other night. The better bottle survived, the mason jar didn't. I think a couple more hours and the better bottle would have exploded too.

Lost two carboys to this cold. Remembered about em on the second day of the freeze - they were toast. Good thing I only payed $10 each for em and used em a couple times...

Back