Quick/Easy BarleyCrusher question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Did you BC owners do the "priming crush" of a few pounds? I noticed, afterwards, that it says to run some grain through it and discard it. What is the point and how much does it matter?

Yeah, I think it's just to make sure that you flush out any little metal shards that might be still hanging around from manufacturing. Or something like that. I didn't do it because I didn't have the grain to spare at the moment.

On a side note, be sure to remove that black rubber ring before crushing. It's used when they're assembling it, but after a few uses, it will come off. If you're not careful, it'll end up in your mash.

Thanks guys, Evan! where is the black rubber thing located? I've probably looked at it, but wanna be sure...

I didn't. Nor did I remove the o-ring. It ended up with 35 lbs of grain for the 8-8-8 RIS, but I can't imagine it hurt anything. Their instructions indicate that it will eventually come off, not to worry about it.

IIRC if you look down into the crusher, you'll see the o-ring around the non-driven roller....black rubberbandy looking thing

edit: if it isnt there, it prb already fell off.

I don't see any reason why the o-ring would really hurt anything if it DID end up in your mash, it's likely a regular buna-N o-ring which should be fine in there - mine fell off in about my 3rd mash and didn't cause any problems. Not a bad idea to just remove it anyway, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it does get lost in your mash.

if that thing gets in your mash, then your batch will be ruined. It'll taste like chewing on a tire tread!

yeah, not really...but I didn't want it in my mash regardless.

I ran a few pounds of malt thru my mill initially so I could dial in my crush.
Evan! said:
On a side note, be sure to remove that black rubber ring before crushing. It's used when they're assembling it, but after a few uses, it will come off. If you're not careful, it'll end up in your mash.
:off:
Yeah, mine removed itself and jumped into the mash the first time I used mine.

Back