Alternative to Avery Mailing Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using Avery labels for my beer bottles. I like what I can do with them in a short period of time. Easy to print (laser color printer), decent quality and I just print and peel. The rub is that they can sometimes be a bugger to get off the bottle. Any ideas of how to replicate the ease of printing and applying, but eliminating (or easing) the difficulty of removing?

I print and apply milk to the back with a basting brush and stick them on. Works perfectly. The trade off is cutting time vs pealing off a sticker. Short soak in oxy and they fall off on their own.

I print and apply milk to the back with a basting brush and stick them on. Works perfectly. The trade off is cutting time vs pealing off a sticker. Short soak in oxy and they fall off on their own.

I know about those but that sounds like just as much work on the front end, and I have tried milk and have not been thrilled with the results. I want something self adhesive that isn't impossible to remove. The first time I used mailing labels, they came off fairly easily. The last batch was about 50% easy removal and 50% throw the bottle in the recycle bin because it's not worth the time.

EDIT: but thank you for the suggestion. I am looking at just about all easy alternatives.

A concentrated gelatin solution works better than milk. Its waterproof in cold water, but washes right off in hot. It what I use.

I also had success with that amber-coloured childrens glue; the stuff which comes with a rubber dabber on top. Not as easy to get off as gelatin, but far better than mailing labels.

Bryan

A concentrated gelatin solution works better than milk. Its waterproof in cold water, but washes right off in hot. It what I use.

I also had success with that amber-coloured childrens glue; the stuff which comes with a rubber dabber on top. Not as easy to get off as gelatin, but far better than mailing labels.

Bryan

I do not want to be cutting paper to size. I want self adhesive, pre-cut, options only. If such a thing does not exist, I'll stick with Avery.

Do you need the whole area provided by the avery labels? When i bottle i use the 3/4" round stickers and put them on the caps. Nothing to clean up that way. I think the 1" ones will fit too but haven't tried them yet. It's enough room i can usually get the beer name/date/abv on there.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JQ2JA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you need the whole area provided by the avery labels? When i bottle i use the 3/4" round stickers and put them on the caps. Nothing to clean up that way. I think the 1" ones will fit too but haven't tried them yet. It's enough room i can usually get the beer name/date/abv on there.

But I like designing the labels and making them look like a "real beer". I know it is a hassle but I like doing it. Just wish I didn't have to spend so much effort cleaning them off. Honestly, though, I have so many bottles that I guess it isn't that much of a burden to just toss the bottles that don't easily come clean into the recycle bin.

I guess another idea would be something I could easily put on the bottle before labeling it that would allow for easy removal.

This is what I use. Removing labels from a bottle once is enough for me.

I brew way too much beer to play the whole pretty label game, Id rather spend my time with other aspects in the hobby.

I use the 2x4 avery labels but before sticking them on a bottle I slap them on a damp wash cloth that has a generous helping of dish soap in it. There's still enough stick to keep the label on through condensation and ice coolers but it makes removal with hot water a breeze.

I use the 2x4 avery labels but before sticking them on a bottle I slap them on a damp wash cloth that has a generous helping of dish soap in it. There's still enough stick to keep the label on through condensation and ice coolers but it makes removal with hot water a breeze.

Maybe I'll try that. Thanks.

My latest attempt is printing on plain paper, cutting them out, and using a water soluble glue stick. It looked good, but I don't know how well it will hold up.

image.jpg

I have been using Avery labels for my beer bottles. I like what I can do with them in a short period of time. Easy to print (laser color printer), decent quality and I just print and peel. The rub is that they can sometimes be a bugger to get off the bottle. Any ideas of how to replicate the ease of printing and applying, but eliminating (or easing) the difficulty of removing?

If you are looking for easy removal you could just get them printed up at www.BeerClings.com

Even custom ones are inexpensive and they go on and off with no adhesive. I feel like this may be a good solution for you.

Just soak your bottles in really hot PBW (I use the homemade stuff with OxyClean Free and TSP/90...70/30). Add more PBW than you would for general cleaning...let sit awhile. Most labels come off easily. If not, the glue sticks but I do a quick (really quick, actually) scrub with a green abrasive pad, and VOILA! No label, no glue...no issues!

This is what I use. Removing labels from a bottle once is enough for me.

I brew way too much beer to play the whole pretty label game, Id rather spend my time with other aspects in the hobby.

This.

I usually put a code on the bottle caps for my meads (since I have many types aging) but with beers I don't even do that.

For those that aren't bothered by the design aspect of things, I have different coloured bottle caps and a chalkboard showing what beers I have based on the cap colour :D

As they're all in my cellar I keep the board at the top of the stairs and ask people what they want from the menu :p

I also use Avery labels, the 2" x 2" ones. I find them very easy to come off with only minor soaking in water. A friend said he used a potato peeler to tackle some of his labels. Didn't work too good!

Avery sells non-permanent labels. Just got some and they peel off easy and they stay on well enough. Last year I got sick of scraping the bottles that were returned to me and bought printable hanging tags. They're from Avery and come in a sheet of card stock that can go through an inkjet. Once printed you pop them out and hang on the neck.

I use labels that are for making name tags. Avery makes them, Post-it, and some others. More expensive than other choices, but they stay on well and peel off like magic without leaving any residue. Usually I don't even soak them.

Avery also makes some that I think they call "reusable." They come off a dry bottle just as easily as they come off the sheet they're printed on.

But I like designing the labels and making them look like a "real beer". I know it is a hassle but I like doing it. Just wish I didn't have to spend so much effort cleaning them off. Honestly, though, I have so many bottles that I guess it isn't that much of a burden to just toss the bottles that don't easily come clean into the recycle bin.
First the Avery label idea is really great. I would go as far as genius. Started using a few months back and no confusion on what beer is what and how long ago it was bottled. Name, Bottle Date and abv. Alwas put one on the fridge to build brew lis like college football helmet decals but on the fridge.
I also use labalizer. I make 8 labels and place them in the case with the beer. If I am going to someones home, slap on a label. Grabbing a beer for myself, pop the top and label clean up is done when I pitch the cap.

I think you will find that our Beer Clings fall into this category. No adhesive, they peel right off effortlessly every time. Our labels are professionally printed and reusable. We have a design studio now which makes creating a label easy whether you already have the image or want to make one from scratch. If you have time we'd love for you to come check out our site and see if it might be what you're looking for.

I haven't had any issues getting the Avery labels off. I soak them in warm soapy water for about 30 seconds then rub them hard with an SOS pad. They come off in seconds.

Back