First Partial Mash recipe critique please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have done three extract brews to date and I am going to make the move to partial mash.
I also thought it would be fun to toss together a recipe.
I guess you could call the recipe a stout? Sounds good to me.
Please critique the recipe I put together below and make suggestions as necessary.

Here goes:
4.00 American Two-row Toasted Grain
4.00 Dark Dry Malt Extract
0.50 Belgian Chocolate

Hops:
1.0 oz Fuggles Pellet @ 60Mins
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet @ 30Mins
.5 oz Fuggles Pellet @ 5Mins

According to the calc on Tastybrew, I should get the following:
OG 1.054
FG 1.014
IBU 42
ABV 5.2 %
SRM 44

Any advice on mashing temps, recipe revisions, techniques etc. will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Dustin

Hope this helps you out, bro.....gives you the temps and batch sparge water. Let me know if if there is anything else I can help with.

Beer
American Stout

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 9/21/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 47.06 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.06 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.73 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 29.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 24.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 4.50 lb
Sparge Water: 4.85 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.63 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Ok some of the process did not make sense to me:
I will mash the grains in the Lauter Tun for 60 mins @ 154.0F with just under 6 quarts of water correct?
After 60 mins is up, I will drain about 2 quarts of wort and recirculate until clear.
I will then drain all the wort into my boiling pot and then sparge as slowly and uniformly as possible with 168.0F sparge water, about 4 gallons. I might have to reduce this amount as I only have a 5 gallon brewpot. After the sparge water is added, I will wait about 15minutes and recirculate the same as I did before. I will then collect the rest of the wort, and proceed to brew as I would with an extract kit.
How far off am I? Like I said I may have to reduce quantities to compensate for the small brewpot.

Yes....sounds right. That is a true PM. Just use the amount of water in your pot where you won't get an overflow. Sparge to that amount. Just top off when pouring into your carboy. If it were me...I would do it much easier this way:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39418

Scroll down and it will tell you exactly how. If you have a big grain bag, you are good to go.

But that does not really get you closer to AG, if you are trying to get to that process.

O....if you use less water the OG and FG will be off a little. No biggie, just do the 1,2,3 method. Aearte well and I am assuming you have done full boils before and have a wort chiller.

Kayos thanks a lot!!!
I am indeed trying to scoot myself closer to all-grain. I will have to get some more equipment before I do that though (bigger Brewpot and other items).
Ok one final question. I will just sparge until I hit about 3.5 or 4 gallons in my brewpot. I can still add the extract and get relatively close to the final gravity?
Oh, which yeast should I use for this. I have never used anything besides Activator liquid yeast.

collect as much wort as you can comfortably boil, a little over 4 is about it. i wouldn't try to collect extra second runnings and top off as you evaporate over an hour.

you should add the extract at the beginning. you have enough boil volume that you shouldn't have to mess with late extract addition to combat poor hop utilization.

Use whatever yeast you find is appropriate for the style. A Wyeast Activator or White Labs vial should each have one or two very suitable strains, and there are some dry yeasts out there too by Fermentis and Danstar.

the nice thing about learning partial mashing is that you'll also learning all grain at the same time. the process is the same...just more grain/water, and thus some bulkier equipment.

I would exchange the dark extract for light extract and add 1/2 lb of roasted barley and 1lb of flaked barley (both in the mash). Just a personal preference but I like to get as much flavoring and color from fresh grain as I can when I do partial mashes. The flaked barley helps with head retention. You might also add a tsp of gypsum.

Also I would do it the way you originally planned and not do the grain bag thing cause it's just a hassle (assuming you have an MLT that will strain out the grain husks).

I scaled it to a 5g pot for you. This should answer all your ?'s. Ask away, I enjoy helping people who ask exactly what I did just a few months back...

Check this out:

Beer
American Stout

Brewer:
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

4.00 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 47.06 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.73 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 23.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 24.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 4.50 lb
Sparge Water: 3.46 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F

60 min Mash In Add 5.63 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

And with some barley...(LDME at 3 lbs instead)

Beer
American Stout

Brewer:
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 35.29 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.50 lb Barley, Torrefied (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.38 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 24.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 22.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 5.50 lb
Sparge Water: 3.27 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F

60 min Mash In Add 6.88 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Carbonation and Storage

Notes

Finally...the recipe I would use...with some irish liquid yeast

Beer
American Stout

Brewer:
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 35.29 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 35.29 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.9 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.43 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 17.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 25.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 5.50 lb
Sparge Water: 3.27 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F

60 min Mash In Add 6.88 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Carbonation and Storage

OK Kayos, (or any brewer with advice)
I am brewing this recipe this weekend. I am going with a total of 4 gallons in my boiling kettle after mashing and batch sparging.
Since I have 5.5lbs of grains to mash I am using 2 gallons to mash and 2 more gallons to batch sparge, bringing me to a total of 4 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle.
Here are the instructions I compiled to refer to when brewing:

Mash the grains in the Lauter Tun for 60 mins @ 154.0F 2.0 gallons of water. (heat water to 165F to settle @ 154F
After 60 mins is up, drain about 2 quarts of wort and re circulate until clear.
Drain all the wort into my boiling pot (slowly) with high temp hose.
Batch sparge with 175.0F sparge water, 2.0 gallons.
After the sparge water is added, I will wait about 15 minutes and recirculate the same as I did before.
I will then collect the rest of the wort, and proceed to brew as I would with an extract kit.

Ok, my question is what should my batch sparge water be heated to to get it to settle at a steady 175F? And if I am forgetting anything please tell me before I dive in.
By the way,
I am using a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with a SS false Bottom and a Kewler Kit Ball Valve for the mash ( building my stuff for all grain).

Ok.....sounds good. Sparge with 170 instead of 175. Since your grain is already at 154, use water that is 175 to get 170.

If you post the whole recipe I will get you complete instructions. I am kind of confused as to why you don't just do an AG recipe. You have all the necessary equip now, it sounds like. What size is your brew pot? If it is small, just do a smaller batch.

Kayos thanks again.
The only thing really holding me back from doing all grain is:
A 7.5 gallon brewpot to hold over 6 gallons to do a full boil.
A propane burner to properly boil that amount of water.
A sparge cooler to keep the sparge water hot enough.
I am using the recipe you posted, post #10 in this thread.
I have all the ingredients, two 5 gallon kettles, and the 10 gallon mash tun with a SS false bottom.
Thanks again for your help. I dont think this will be very hard after all the prep and good advice.
I will be brewing all grain soon enough.
I will let you know how it goes.

No need for a "sparge cooler". Just heat your strike water to the right temp (usually about 170 to get the water to 154). Then dump it in the 10g cooler. When it is time, heat your sparge water to the right temp. Recirculate the first runnings, put your first runnings in bottling bucket (if you have only 1 heating pot) that way you can measure how much you have, then dump in your sparge water when it hits 175. Stir, vourlof, then drain. BTW....when batch sparging, like we are both doing, no need to drain slow. Just stir to get the sugars out of the grain and vourlof (recirculate), then drain.

I had no clue how to do AG before this site. Glad to help you learn! Do someone else the favor when it is your turn.

1 more thing....sounds to me like you are ready to go AG except the burner and the pot. Start here!

This is the one I have. Under $40 and you get a pot and fryer that you can use your BBQ cylinder with. Uh-Oh.....don't tell your wife I showed you.

Damn that's a great idea Kayos!
I can easily use my plastic fermentation bucket to hold my first runnings. I will just have to be careful with hot side aeration. Maybe I will use my auto siphon to transfer the wort to my brew kettle.
I am going to go ahead and do this recipe as a partial mash as I already have the ingredients.
SWMBO is actually quite supportive of my new addiction. I think I will buy that fryer kit you showed me. How is yours holding up?

Mine? LOL!!! I think that is what 3/4 of people on this board are using. It rocks! Maybe not a banjo burner, but I love it. I also got an extra BBQ cylinder so I never have to worry about running out. Just empty one and have the backup ready. Then whenever I make it to home Depot, I Blue Rhino it.

Gotta brew outside...much more fun to have tunes, cigar and brew going all at once.

Make sure you do a water boil in anything aluminum (the pot that comes with fryers) before you brew in it though. Water to the top and bring to a boil for about 15 minutes or so. Just dump this out and you will get a good haze on the pot. Then you are good to go. It will oxidize the pot for you and get the crud off (this is where oxidizing is a good thing--don't clean this one with Oxyclean :D )

Hot Side Aeration = unfounded myth in the homebrewing world. Never heard of anything but worries from it. Use a hose and whirlpool into your plastic and you are fine.

OK this might be a bit lengthy......but I wanted to share my first PM experience.
I am using a rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler with a SS false bottom. I preheated the cooler with 2 gallons of water before adding the grains. I still experienced significant heat loss.
My sparge ended up at a low temp also. My Mash efficiency came out to 27.7 which was surprising.
Here are my notes:

I used 7.5 pounds of grain instead of the 5.5 that I calculated for. Oops
I mashed with 2.5 gallons of water heated to 165F instead of 2 gallons to compensate for the additional grains.
I added the water one gallon at a time for the first 2 gallons stiring between each addition. After the first two gallons I poured the rest of the water into the cooler.
The mash showed a temperature of 150 @ 20 minutes.
I added 1 quart of 180Fwater @ 35 minutes into the mash water to bring the temp back
To 152F
Recirculated the first runnings 5 times and racked to the brew kettle. I obtained about 6 quarts of wort only!
I added the sparge water @ 172F, stirred well, and let sit for 15 minutes.
I tested the temperature of the sparge water about halfway through and found the temp to be about 156F, after stirring.
Mash Efficiency came out to 27.7!
Gravity 1.052 @ 130F Calculated for temp to 1.065.
I raised the temp of the brew kettle (4 gallons of wort from the mash) to 170F, then added the 3 lbs. of malt extract.
At first boil I added 1oz of Fuggles pellet hops for 60 minutes.
I added another oz of fuggle hops @ 30 minutes.
After the boil was complete I ran the immersion wort chiller for roughly 20 mins to chill the wort below 80 degrees.
After I pulled the wort chiller I was left with 3 gallons of wort, I boiled off 1 whole gallon during the 60 minutes.
I added 2 gallons of Hinckley Springs Distilled water to the sanitized carboy.
I whisked the wort with a sanitized whisk for 15 seconds to oxygenate the wort before pouring into the carboy.
I took a gravity reading after the wort was poured into the carboy.
Gravity reading was very high: 1.064 @ 80F Calculates into 1.066 OG!!
Pitched the Wyeast Irish Ale Activator yeast into the wort. I hope this is enough as I let it activate for about 4 hours.
Put Popov Vodka into the airlock and placed the carboy in the basement to Ferment at about 6:30pm.

I inspected the carboy this morning 10/22 @ 8AM. I noticed activity from the airlock and a layer of Krausen. Temp strip read 70F.

Back