Fermentation has halted...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailstock

Reaction score
I have a double IPA that I brewed and the OG was supposed to be 1.070 but actually came out to 1.090.
I brewed it and pitched the yeast starter on 1/11/13, and the recent gravity readings have been steady at 1.039. Has the fermentation halted? Btw I have had the temperature steady between 68-70 degrees. The FG is aimed to be at 1.010.

Should I wait it out? Should I pitch more yeast and shake it up?

Hmm post the recipe you used, it will be easier to try and troubleshoot if we know all the ingredients. I would wait it out another week, and if you don't see any change, try pitching some more yeast.

Never experienced this before but i would swirl it a little. Check in a day or two. if nothing pitch some more yeast.

What type of yeast did you use? While 70 seems a little high for me it is with in the recommended range.

That is a high gravity beer nice! Post your recipe and especially your yeast, starter size, date of the yeast production, and starter method(stir plate or shaking). We will be able to tell you if you used the right type and amount of yeast.

I'll ask my brother. All I know at the top of my head was that it was your basic yeast starter. Used a stir plate. Yeast was white labs California Ale yeast.

Back