Not a STAR TREK fan but.......(new movie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
*DISCLAIMER* if your first instinct is "2008 (or whenever) called and wants it's movie back" You confirmed our suspicions, and YES, you are a *********.*

I was WAY impressed with the (relatively) new star trek movie.

Despite missing most of the star trek phenomenon by being born in 1974, I nevertheless saw most of the movies as a child, and have a relative understanding of the characters.

The first 20 minutes of the "new" star trek movie is awesome. Incredibly well done.

The rest of the movie was good, if a little drawn out and scattered (which may be part of the tradition).

So if you haven't seen it, it is worth a look.

MINOR SPOILER* if they were losing me a little by the point where SEAN OF THE DEAD was introduced as "SCOTTY" that got me back.;)*

I cringe when idiots get married in Star Trek garb and wouldn't be caught dead near a convention, but if you've never seen this movie, check it out.

I had said on here, back in 2008 ;) that had this version been my first intro to Star Trek, I would have been a bigger fan. I "liked" the original tv series (and hated just about every one of the spinoff series and most of the movies) but none of them captured me like Star Wars and other science fiction did.

To me this was how Star Trek always should have been done.

....2009 is probably right.

I just saw it on NETFLIX streaming through the Wii............(awesome)

SO it is new to ME....and ME being the only and mostsest important person in my little universe, I dubbed it as such................(new);)

I thought it ranked among the worst movies I'd seen in years. Totally overdone action, every other scene had the crew in epic danger. Among the other terrible movies on the list were Avatar and Transformers 2.

....2009 is probably right.

I just saw it on NETFLIX streaming through the Wii............(awesome)

SO it is new to ME....and ME being the only and mostsest important person in my little universe, I dubbed it as such................(new);)

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa there 3rd demon with the cheese. Geesh. i am just establishing a baseline here. For all I knew there could have been a new 2010 Star Trek. Hell, Tron has been re-done too.

And btw, 2009 wants there.....Oh Bother.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa there 3rd demon with the cheese. Geesh. i am just establishing a baseline here. For all I knew there could have been a new 2010 Star Trek. Hell, Tron has been re-done too.

And btw, 2009 wants there.....Oh Bother.

Lol, you did nothing wrong. It was an obvious question. I should have googled the year, but I am too lazy.

Tron was another near miss for me. The original was cool....in 1980.

At that time, computers were new and exciting and gosh darn it!
Didn't it seem possible that people might just get sucked into them?!?

No longer believeable for me.

I will pass on that one.

Let's be honest...we are all sucked into our computers everyday

We just don't "do it with neon"

And as a die hard trekkie ... I approve of all the new fans, but the movie had more holes than a dunkin donuts factory

Still have seen it about 12 times now...but I, sir am a geek. And geeks are in.

I loved the Next Generation series. Love William Shatner too. And Patrick Stewart. Saw all the movies and even have a "Warp Speed!" coffee mug with a pic of the original Enterprise. Went to a convention once (but didn't dress up).

Thought the new movie had some good to it, but CERTAINLY was no Wrath of Khan. Best. Trek. Movie. Evah.

Yup. I guess I'm a Trekkie.

I thought the new movie was well done; great back story on how the crew came together, cool update - re imagination - of the early technology, and Zoe is extremely hot. I am one of the old timers who grew up with the series, yet it was always too plastic for even my young tastes. I grew up in a strong science household; 2001: A Space Odyssey was a defining movie for me. These other things with transporters and phasers and sound in space and gravity on space ships is all too much bunk. Now, put a decent story behind, such as Dune, or Silent Running, or Blade Runner, and yes, even forgo the science for the great run that was Star Wars, I can get on board. Recently I think the BSG redo has been extremely well written and acted. If you have never given Firefly a chance, do so, it is another one with a great running storyline and excellent writing and acting. I just finished the single season of Defying Gravity and am a bit saddened by the fact it was canceled after only one season. Anyway, enough rambling. . . I just wish there was another Firefly or Trek or BSG on the horizon. Caprica totally sucked. ....

Up next, a review of the original King Kong.
Can't argue with a couple of kissing dirndls; bring it on!

Oktoberfest_Wiesn_Dirndl_Sexy_089.jpg

I was suprised by how good it was and having Leonard Nimoy actually play a part instead of a cameo was a nice touch. It has "new action movie" plastered all over it, but I came in expecting Star Wars prequel suckitude and was in for a treat.

The second Star Trek movie is still the best one though. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!

The second Star Trek movie is still the best one though. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!

Not to mention that it spawned one of the funniest Saturday Night Live skits with Dana Carvey as Khan The Health Inspector on the Enterprise that had been converted to a restaurant. :cross:

I've never been mildly interested in anything star trek related, but I did really enjoy the new movie. Can't wait for the next one.

I know a sequal was got the "green light" but I haven't heard of any scripts getting approved either.

Somehow I think it may be a while before we see another one...JJ Abrams doesn't like to stay around for several of anything

Granted he could just "produce" it and let someone else direct it...that's what he did with Lost and Alias when he moved on

The original King Kong is unquestionably the best, but the one with Jessica Lang........mmmmmmm....young jessica......mmmmmmmm was the tastiest. The one with Jack Black....mmmmm.......wait a minute.............

No, that one sucked.

Back