C02 fitting stuck on keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I write this as I am trying my first apfelwein, all I can say is wow. Now to my problem, after racking the apfelwein I had the great idea of force carbing it a bit, that went just fine but when I went to switch the co2 fitting from the out to the in it wouldn't budge, even after many failed attempts. Any tricks of the trade you might have would be very helpful. Cheers.

The liquid and gas disconnects aren't the same, that's why it's stuck. You could try getting it off with brute strength and a pair of pliers. That's my only suggestion, sorry.

Of course, for next time, you know not do put the gray disconnect on the "out". They go on, but don't come off.

The liquid and gas disconnects aren't the same, that's why it's stuck. You could try getting it off with brute strength and a pair of pliers. That's my only suggestion, sorry.

Of course, for next time, you know not do put the gray disconnect on the "out". They go on, but don't come off.

+1 Yooper
Putting the gas on the "Out" tube isn't necessary anyway for force carbing. Mine carb just fine with the gas hooked up to the gas "In" post.

But, if you do want to run your gas through the "Out" side, you'll have to swap the QD for a black one, or suffer the consequences...

:mug:

+100 to what they all have said... they arent the same fitting, I have seen people NOT able to get them off without destroying them.

There is no benefit to force carbing through the liquid tube, so next time, dont worry about doing it the conventional way, it will work equally as well.

If you are trying to diffuse the CO2 faster, think about the size of those bubbles floating up through your beer/whatever. They are huge, and they reach the top and pop in a matter of 2 seconds, it isnt going to diffuse CO2 into your beer any faster. They just potentially ruin a ball lock.

One of my cornies came from a well-known interwebs supplier with two gas posts on it. Me, not paying attention, applied a little too much pressure on the liquid quick-connect and they are now hopelessly fused together for eternity. The interwebs supplier was kind enough to mail me another, correct post though. Luckily I have a spare quick connect.

Well I guess this goes down as a learning experience, brute force has proved to be unsuccessful. I will try it a few more times before I decide to give up. At that point I need to remove and replace the post? Thanks for the help. This is only the second keg I have bought, I had no problem force carbing my first one from the out, so it must have a different connect. After reading what you guys have posted I don't see a reason to ever hook the co2 up to the "out". Live and learn. Thanks again.

You should be taking the posts off and cleaning the poppits before the first use and after each use as it is. I'm going to use the post and QD that are fused together until my new post arrives, just need to make sure I thoroughly clean and sanitize it...

Any tricks of the trade you might have would be very helpful. Cheers.

More than likely we've all done it at least once. The couple of times I did it I was able to get them off but I had to really work at it (the post people, the post :D). If you absolutely can't get it off try busting it loose. But first remove the post as you don't want to damage your keg. Best case is you only have to purchase a gas post. Worst case is you have to purchase both.

Back