2 Months in Bottles Still Has Estery Off Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsn0blindxx

Reaction score
My first brew was a robust porter. I made the mistake of fermenting too warm, by using a heating pad to keep the temps up. My thoughts were warmer equals better yeast activity, but I've since learned the error of my ways. I don't know what the actual temperature was at.

It spent 7 days in primary with the heat pad turned on periodically to high (self shut-off) and wrapped in a blanket. Then I did a secondary for 13 days, 4 of which were cold crashed in the garage during winter in the 30s. It has since been sitting for the last two months in bottles in my 60-63 degree basement. Will the estery flavors ever condition out?

Most likely not completely, though there is a thread around here "never give up on a beer" where one of the members beer tasted like bubblegum after 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months but was good after a year or something like that. IE have a relax, dont worry, you know the rest.

Not in my experience. A few things might lessen, but not go away. I've never had chlorophenols disappear, or esters. Some fusels can fade, but not a whole lot.

Back