Finally took the kegging plunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Well, after a couple years of pondering, I decided to make the plunge and start kegging. The SWMBO was getting mighty tired of me making a bottling ruckus at night, and the whole routine was getting old to me as well. I always look forward to brew days, it is fun, but bottling was starting to be a chore.

I decided to go with the dual tap system from midwest, and a dinged haier kegerator from ebay. Including shipping and accessories, I am in about $600 on this. I know I could have saved money by doing a conversion, but I lack the tools and expertise and this seemed like a (relatively) inexpensive option.

I am very excited to start the kegging adventure. I have an oatmeal stout (NB Partial Mash Kit) and a California Common (extract+grains, my own recipe with Saaz) sitting in carboys just waiting for the new system.

I have to say that the wisdom of HBT has helped my brewing hobby greatly. I am one who reads far more than I post, but the advice here has really encouraged me in this hobby.

That being said, any advice for a first time kegger? I bought some new o-ring sets, PBW, keg lube and some longer lines (bought 18 feet). I am thinking I will force carb these, which I should be able to do at different psi with the dual regulator. I am not in a hurry, so I would like some suggestions on force carbing techniques that minimze the risk of creating an overcarbonated mess. Also, give the styles I am carbing, any suggestions for the PSI I should set? I recokon I will try to keep the fridge around 40-42.

I should also say I am planning on adding a tower at some point, but at the beginning the picnic taps will be fine. I figure I can eliminate warm beer lines as a cause for any problems while I am getting started.

I am new to homebrewing (Dec. 2009), but I have done about 10 batches so far and am looking into AG by early fall. I bottles 2 batches and decided to try my hand at kegging. I support my LHBS event though they are not always the cheapest soluton. I bought my first keg in the begining of Feb. along with a 20# tank and regulator and lines. I had an Oatmeat Stout ready to go, so I kegged it with force carbonation. Remember good sanitation goes a long way, and once piece of good information is be careful with your lines. I lost a couple glasses of good homebrew due to spewing line when I forgot to disconnect the gas when checking something. You can definitely go online and search for a carbonation calculator for kegging. Here is one that is easy to use. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html. Looks like Oatmeal Stout is 10psi and the CaliCom is 14.4psi. Well as I said I am new to homebrewing, but I took the keg plunge early on as bottling was a chore as you said. I now save my bottles for giving beer away (bottle return required), so I end up bottling 12 or so from every batch instead of 50+

So remember RDWHAHB, and turn off your gas before servicing beer lines!

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty much counting on the fact that I will do something stupid with the kegs at the beginning!

Back