Winter boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyx

Reaction score
How do you brewers in the cold places boil the wort when it's really cold outside? I'm going to end up using an entire tank of propane to keep 7 gallons at a rolling boil when it's 10 degrees F outside...

It sucks but is worth it. I have not tried heat shield and all that. Just burner out in the open garage. It takes me about 40 minutes to get strike water heated, another 40 to get sparge water heated, 20 to get from mash tun to boil, 60 minute boil.

I get about 2 brews out of a propane tank in the winter.

On the bright side cooling is a snap lol. i actually took to long to rack and ended up at about 50 lol. Pulled the chiller at 70.

The last two snowstorms in my area I have been outside in mid-brew

We had a nice 2' snowfall before Christmas and while shivering out there watching the snow start to build up around the burner as the wind was strong enough to overwhelm the heat, I started doodling up my total electric rig plans.

This cold weather makes my ultra sensitive to begin with Banjo burner shut off unexpectedly during the boil....

I just make a wind shield . Several steel shelves with bailing wire.

Might have taken a few minutes longer to reach boil but I had to throttle it down to normal to maintain the boil.

STA72869.JPG

Garage. Door Closed. CO is a myth.

(really, I just use a CO monitor. the link in my sig shows it can get humid in there, but also nice and warm)

Oh man, this has got me concerned! This is my first winter doing full boils out on my deck and I really don't want to drive 30 minutes each way to go get my tank filled before my brew this saturday!

+1 for In the Garage. I open the side window and have the main door open 12-18 inches.
It's chilly sometimes, but that the price I pay for my beer. I haven't noticed a big change in time to boil, or in where I set my burner at.

Garage. Door Closed. CO is a myth.

(really, I just use a CO monitor. the link in my sig shows it can get humid in there, but also nice and warm)

A little :off:
You know it's funny. Folks will use their gas stove in their small kitchen without a second though, but as soon as you mention using a burner in the garage, all the alarms go off.

Is there a reason that one would be a concern and the other not?

You know it's funny. Folks will use their gas stove in their small kitchen without a second though, but as soon as you mention using a burner in the garage, all the alarms go off.

Hell, when I'm brewing in my garage I have the door closed, my propane burner cranked, and my natural gas space heater cranked. Haven't gotten dizzy yet, (well, there's the :tank:), and the CO monitor's never bleeped. Plus it's below zero outside, and 60-70 degrees in my garage! :ban:

I'll up the ante: My garage is small and packed to the gills, so I boil on the tile floor just inside my front door. I put the CO detector in the plug about 3 feet away, but I don't even think I need it. AND, I store my propane tanks inside to avoid the compression issues with the cold freezing the propane.

I have two propane tanks, so if by chance one empties I have another ready to go. When I first started brewing outside I bought a roll of 2' wide metal sheathing. When It's windy, I unroll it and wrap it around the burner. Works great. I don't notice going through more gas than any other season.

SWMBO won't let me keep the door closed. I bet I could if I got one of those CO monitors out there. I'll have to pick one up before my next brew.

A gas stove has 1/4 the BTU of a Banjo Burner kicked up to heat 12 gallons of water. Also the little kitchen is connected to rest of the house/apt and the air circulates around . In a single car garage the air in it is all you have. you should leave a window or door open to get some fresh air exchange granted people do it all the time with no ventilation but all you need is that one time.

Just think of it this way would you run your 150k BTU furnace without a chimney?

Two brews ago it was ~10 degrees, it was fine, just build a windscreen out of cinder blocks and tried to keep my hands warm. It was a breeze to chill though

I just brewed in NH on saturday, outside. No problems, no excessive propane used. Boiloff can be a little higher, sometimes you can't see the surface of the wort for the steam, but other than that...

Saturday was brutal. Did a brew in Plymouth, MA with 30-40 MPH winds and 15 degree temps. I have no wind screen or anything and it was a rough day. The wind blew my burner's flame so hard that not enough heat was getting directed towards the kettle and getting to a boil was a challenge. Everything worked out in the end, but nonetheless and cold and bitter brew day.

Oh man, this has got me concerned! This is my first winter doing full boils out on my deck and I really don't want to drive 30 minutes each way to go get my tank filled before my brew this saturday!

Might want to consider having a backup tank (or two). Last thing in the world you want to happen is for the burner to give out mid boil.....

Brewed a centennial blonde this weekend and didn't seem to use much more propane than normal, but I heated mash and sparge water on the stove. I only used the big burner for the boil. Steamed so much I couldn't see the wort!

The cat was curious, but not enough to get close to the roar of the flame.

Back