Water guru question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fin-lander

Reaction score
In my battle with an off flavor I have attributed to chloramines in my city water, I have decided to get a carbon filter setup. What micron rating would be sufficient for removal of chloramines? I know you have to run the water through the filter slowly, but what size filter would you recommend - .5 micron, 1 micron, etc? I have read a few posts on this, but have seen all kinds of sizes used.

Thanks in advance

I'm not a guru, but I'd get as small as possible, .5 micron would be good. It not only gives more surface area for the water to contact the activated carbon, but also slows your flow down.

Thanks - that was my idea as well. If I plumb this thing inline, do I have to remove the carbon media when not in use, or can I let the water sit in it for a week or 2 at a time, as it's going in the basement - (not a lot of use on this sink)?

the smaller the filter the more expensive it is to replace. I would suggest that you have to figure out how much you are going to brew.

it may be cheaper to buy a second (or, FIRST) pre-filter unit to replace the cheaper cartriges more often. if the canister is ~40 bucks, is it cost effective in 2 years? in 3?

Back