Some advise on AG oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
Hello.

Contemplating adding smokiness and oak flavor to an oatmeal stout. A couple of issues I could use some advice on:

Peat smoked malt or rauchbier malt? How much? I have been reading the threads discussing both. I understand peat malt is strong and difficult to get just right. Is there a difference in the actual smoke flavor of the 2 different malts (ie: BBQ vs. campfire)? I'd like medium smokiness. Actually I’d like the roasted flavor, smokiness, maltiness, and oak flavor to all be about equally proportioned. Seems like about 25% of the grain bill would be rauch malt for a medium flavor if I use that or 1/2 ounce of peat malt. I also thought: why can't I soak some peat malt in 155 degree water for a bit and add this "tea" at bottling time in small amounts until I get the desired flavor?

Another issue is the oak. I have used oak one time in an extract imperial stout. I used 4oz of french oak chips in the secondary for 2 weeks (after a weeks soak in jack daniels to kill any nasties). It was over kill. I can't drink it. it tastes like merlot or mulch. I was going to go with maybe one ounce of American oak this time.

Finally I want this beer to be as creamy and full bodied as it can get without a nitro setup. I was going to use flaked oats, flaked barley, carapils and mash on the high side. What volume of co2? Anything else I can do?

I know this is an undertaking for a noob like myself but I like beers that beat my palate up. I think I’ll call it Smokey Oakey Oatmeal Stout. Thanks for any and all advice.

First off, I wouldn't use smoked malt if you want a smooth creamy beer. I think you're adding too much to a simple beer. Just my opinion.

Second, I never leave oak in for more than a week because of this same issue. When I use oak, I use 4oz., soak in whiskey (if I'm doing a whiskey beer) for two weeks, drain and dry chips, then add to secondary for 5-7 day. It usually comes out perfect.

You'll have a hard time mimicking nitro with extra grains. I would carb at about 2.5 volumes as stouts are normally on the low side.

Here is my rough draft recipe:

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L

43% 5 0 Pale Malt, Maris Otter info 38 3
26% 3 0 German Rauch Smoked info 35 3
9% 1 0 Flaked Barley info 30 2
9% 1 0 Flaked Oats info 33 2
4% 0 8 Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt info 33 2
4% 0 8 Chocolate Malt info 34 475
4% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L info 34 60
2% 0 3 Roasted Barley info 25 300

single infusion mash 158 degrees for 60 min, batch sparge.

2oz east kent golding for 60 min 5%AA pellets

Whitelabs English Ale Yeasts

1 oz American light toast oak chips for approx 2 weeks in the 2ndary.

OG 1.062
FG 1.021
IBU 27.1
Color 27 SRM
5.5% ABV

What do you guys think? Goals = equal proportioned smoke, malt, oak, and roast flavor; and as creamy as i can make it

Back