Advantages to Mash Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
As I prepare to do my first AG brew in a couple weeks, I'm considering all my options for the mash. With the help of BeerSmith, I have looked at several different options and I'm not sure which method is the best and I don't understand the merits of one over the other.

First option: (14 lb grain bill / 5.5g batch / 6.5g boil volume)

Mash in: 12.50 qts of 179.5 degree water (hold at 158 degrees for 45 mins)
Mash out: 5.0 qts of 199 degree water (hold at 168 for 10 mins)

Take first runnings

Sparge: 4.1 gallons of 168 degree water

Second option:

Mash in: 18.6 qts of 173.5 degree water (hold at 158 degrees for 45 mins)

Take first runnings

Sparge: 3.8 gallons of 168 degree water

Which method would you use and why?

Whichever one got me closer to getting 1/2 my total boil volume from each runoff. A "mashout" might help your efficiency very slightly by reducing the viscosity of the wort, but that's about it. I decide based on runoff volumes, and I figure if I'm going to be adding more water before the mash runoff, I might as well get as close to mashout temp as I can. If I don't need the extra water, I don't bother.

Hey JM, I would recommend reading BobbyM's all grain primer and doing the NMODBS method, that is the simplest and easy to understand method Ive tried, Im getting consistent 77 to 78% brewhouse effeciency using that, good luck on your first AG, from a fellow Tarheel.:mug:

Hey JM, I would recommend reading BobbyM's all grain primer and doing the NMODBS method, that is the simplest and easy to understand method Ive tried, Im getting consistent 77 to 78% brewhouse effeciency using that, good luck on your first AG, from a fellow Tarheel.:mug:

Do you have a link?

I wouldn't do either of those, especially for my first brew.
I'd reduce the grain bill down to 10 - 11 lbs. and I'd reduce the mash temp down to 154F (or lower). That would give you a much better chance of success. Batch sparging is easy with low to medium gravity beers, but gets more difficult as the gravity increases. If I were to use 14 lbs grain in a 5.5g brew, I would get a gravity of about 1.085, whereas 10 - 11 lbs would give me a gravity of 1.060 - 1.067, and be much more manageable.
For the first few batches, I would also chose a mash temperature in the middle of the range, rather than right at the edge of what is possible. That way, if you get the temperatures wrong, you'll still be in range and not damage the enzymes. Although it is possible to mash at 158F, I don't think that many people actually do so.

-a.

I wouldn't do either of those, especially for my first brew.
I'd reduce the grain bill down to 10 - 11 lbs. and I'd reduce the mash temp down to 154F (or lower). That would give you a much better chance of success. Batch sparging is easy with low to medium gravity beers, but gets more difficult as the gravity increases. If I were to use 14 lbs grain in a 5.5g brew, I would get a gravity of about 1.085, whereas 10 - 11 lbs would give me a gravity of 1.060 - 1.067, and be much more manageable.
For the first few batches, I would also chose a mash temperature in the middle of the range, rather than right at the edge of what is possible. That way, if you get the temperatures wrong, you'll still be in range and not damage the enzymes. Although it is possible to mash at 158F, I don't think that many people actually do so.

-a.

I think this is probably a good idea. My 14lb grain bill is only estimating 1.070 via BrewSmith though. The numbers I posted earlier were from using the single infusion full body batch sparge, and the full body sparge likes the higher temperature, so I'll probably change that to the medium body anyway...

Back