I do believe i just screwed up.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonjrw

Reaction score
I brewed a wit beer three days ago and the fermentation took off within 6 hours. It was fermenting hot and heavy until this morning. I opened up the primary thisevening and all the foam has disappeared. So for some stupid reason I sanitized a spoon and vigorously stirred the brew remixing up the cake. In the process I introduced a lot of oxygen into the beer. Now that the deed is done I've been reading that the re-introduction of oxygen will stale the flavors of the beer.

So.......I would like to seek the advice of those more experienced than myself to tell me how much I have screwed up and what if anything i can do to remedy the situation.

You have made the Earth stop spinning on its axis and the sun will go supernova in a matter of minutes.

Seriously, give your beer another week, take a few hydrometer readings then, and bottle when the specific gravity is stable for 30 - 36 hours. Then bottle in your favourite way, and let the bottles alone for at least 3 weeks. Then you can tell us how it tastes.

There's nothing you can do to 'fix' the wort. Relax and have a home brew. You might find the end result very enjoyable.

Don't sweat it, there are far worse things people have done and it still turns out great. (Have a gander at Reevy's sticky post to live his adventures). 3 days is not long, and the yeasties will still be busy doing their thing, crapping out alcohol and cleaning up the wort. A bit of oxygen to keep them on their merry way won't hurt it at all. Good to see you are so keen on this whole exercise you have been watching the fermenter like a hawk. Take it from all the folks on here, relax, leave the yeast do it's thing and plan your next beer. Having a pipeline of brews will ensure you enjoy your last batch instead of needlessly worrying about your current brew.

Back