Hexed IPA (all grain recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
6 ounces of hops = an IPA that's quite literally hexed. Looking for some feedback on this one. Brewing later tonight.

The following are estimates, based upon 75% mash efficiency, ~78.5% attenuation. 4oz 43ppg DME factored in for the starter.

Style: American IPA
Size: 5.25 gallons
Mash Temp: 150*F
Color: 11 SRM
Bitterness: ~50 IBU
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6.1%

9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory
8 oz CaraPils

AA = 5.5% Cascade; 6% Willamette; 7.5% Palisade

1 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Willamette @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Palisade @ 5
2 oz Cascade (Dry Hop)

Yeast = White Labs WLP001 California Ale

White Labs said:
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.

A pound of C60 might leave things too sweet, you may want to scale it back to around 8 ounces.

Do you want this IPA to finish dry? If so, I'd consider dropping the mash temp down to 150-152° as opposed to 154°. The Crystal will be contributing nicely to the body and mouthfeel, so you can play with the mash temps a bit.

I like...but agree the combo of a pound of crystal and a 154 mash temp may overshadow the lower IBU (lower for an IPA that is). Maybe strive for a 149 x 75 minutes to get it nice and clean.

Maybe take your 10 and 15 additons to the following:
0.50 oz Cascade @ 15
0.50 oz Palisade @ 15
0.50 oz Cascade @ 10
0.50 oz Palisade @ 5

That might bump your IBU's a bit and give some more hop complexity from an earlier palisades addition.

but...that's just me. :D

The mash temp was what had left me wondering. I do like my malty IPAs though (a la 90 minute). But, of course, this brew isn't in the same solar system as the former, so I'll drop it down to about 150 for ~70 to get me a bit crisper/cleaner. Don't think I'll run into any problems with a pound of crystal in and of itself. Have used more than that in the past without trouble.

Will consider tweaking around with the hops a bit.

EDIT: Okay, after multiple delays I'm finally brewing this one up tonight (4/9; about to start, so hopefully I'm not up until 4 in the AM). Decided to keep the hop schedule where it is, as the Palisades are there to complicate/add to the aroma more than the taste. Nonetheless, at 5 they should still add something in the flavor department, which is why I went with the addition there, as opposed to flameout or during the dry hop.

Back