Aluminum Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azrack

Reaction score
Hello all my first post I been reading up on everything and I wanted to see if there was any reason you couldnt use aluminum in a conical fermentor? It is cheaper and lighter then SS and I can't think of any reason it wouldnt work. Anyone got any ideas against?

Az~

The only thing I can see is that there are not to my knowledge any pre-made aluminum fermenters on the market, or aluminum parts to turn into a conical.

By the time you found everything and put it together, you could probably buy a stainless or plastic conical for less money.

But man would shipping be cheaper, lol. I wish for all glass big equipment, but I will keep wishing. Stainless is my second place fermenter of choice. Now, get aluminum and copper/stainless steel plate it and wow.

I think aluminum will dissolve slowly in an acidic environment like beer, aluminum in beer and holes in the fermenter. it will work as a boil kettle because of the brief contact time and lack of fermentation.

Wonder if spray teflon would work its super slick and has high corrosion resistance.

Powder coating?

Az~

yeah the beer would eat holes in it. If an aluminum can's liner has a small hole or something wrong with it, the beer will eat through the can in 3-5days.

I think aluminum will dissolve slowly in an acidic environment like beer, aluminum in beer and holes in the fermenter. it will work as a boil kettle because of the brief contact time and lack of fermentation.

+1 Also, the pH drops quite a bit with fermented beer, this will eat away at the oxide layer on the aluminum. Aluminum is fine for a boil kettle, but that's as far as I would go in the process with it.

Back