Honey Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew a honey lager. This recipe has to be extract because I am hosting Learn to Brew day for my club.

The recipe I currently have is

3.3# Pilsen LME
2# Pilsen DME
0.5# Honey Malt (steeped)
2# Honey
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer Hops @ 60
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer Hops @ 0
WLP862 Cry Havoc Lager Yeast

Est. OG 1049
Est. 19 IBU

I have 3 main questions.

1. Will Northern Brewer hops work here? I could go Cluster, Hallertauer, or something citrusy.

2. Is 0.5# Honey malt too much? I want to accentuate the honey flavor not overwhelm.

3. Should I try to get some Munich LME to add a little sweetness?

Thanks for your help.

PS. I placed this same item on another board and only got 1 response. I wanted more feedback.

I think that the pilsner extract will give you the sweetness that you want. The honey malt also adds more sweetness than the average steeping grain. I would use Cascade as a flavour hop at 5 mins and then some for dry hopping. The dry hopping would give it the citrusy taste to compliment the honey malt.

I think that this would taste good and it would be nice and simple:

1# honey malt to steep
7# pils or pale malt extract liquid
hops: cascade 30g at 60, 30g at 5, and 15g dry hop for 3 days
I calculated the specs as Premium American Lager
OG 1.052
FG 1.013
IBU 26
ABV 5.1%
I made a similar recipe as an ale with Nottingham dry yeast and loved it down to the last bottle. I had added 1# amber DME and used Perle and Liberty as the hops.

The honey will lend nicely to the long lagering process. It comes out kinda hot in the right amounts and takes a little while (5-6 months) to cool off and bring out the honey flavors/aromas. Prost!

Sir-Hops-A-Lot said:
I think that the pilsner extract will give you the sweetness that you want. The honey malt also adds more sweetness than the average steeping grain. I would use Cascade as a flavour hop at 5 mins and then some for dry hopping. The dry hopping would give it the citrusy taste to compliment the honey malt.

I think that this would taste good and it would be nice and simple:

1# honey malt to steep
7# pils or pale malt extract liquid
hops: cascade 30g at 60, 30g at 5, and 15g dry hop for 3 days
I calculated the specs as Premium American Lager
OG 1.052
FG 1.013
IBU 26
ABV 5.1%
I made a similar recipe as an ale with Nottingham dry yeast and loved it down to the last bottle. I had added 1# amber DME and used Perle and Liberty as the hops.

Thanks for the feedback. Citrusy may compliment the honey well. I made a previous honey lager (1# honey and no honey malt). I used cascade for bittering and 1 oz. Zythos at flameout. The beer was awesome but the honey was very subtle.

My only problem with citrus hops is that I am calling it a lager and lagers don't usually have citrus. But, maybe I should get over that.

RachmaelBenApplebaum said:
The honey will lend nicely to the long lagering process. It comes out kinda hot in the right amounts and takes a little while (5-6 months) to cool off and bring out the honey flavors/aromas. Prost!

I am worried 2# of honey is too much. I may decrease. I have to serve 3 months after brew day. I am brewing it for a function with a fixed date.

Back