Looking for a cure!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
So I made a Wit 3 weeks ago using WLP400. The first few days of fermentation left me with a sulfurous liquid that in no way resembles beer. I have heard alot of people say that WLP400 is know for producing a sulphur smell that goes away within a week or so. Its been 3 weeks for me and the gravity has been steady for the past week. I'm seriously considering tossing this batch. It is absolutely UNDRINKABLE!!!! I feel like I need to be talked down but the smell and taste of the sample I drank an hour ago is still with me and making the voices in my head very angry. What to do? Would ramping up the heat to about 75* or so help eliminate this bye making the yeast left in suspension become more active?

I feel your pain... been in the EXACT SAME situation. Brewed a standard wit and pitched WLP400 and within a few days, it stunk of sulfur. I decided to let it run... left it in the primary for 2 weeks and the smell calmed some. Racked to a secondary and added some gelatine. After another two weeks, I cold crashed it for 3 days then primed and bottled.

After two weeks, i tried a bottle. It had carbed but tasted like what I would imagine dirty, funky dog-bath water would taste like. Considered dumping bit got distracted. After another two weeks in the bottle it had really come around to a nice, tasty beer.

Be patient... let it run its course

This is also the first time I didn't "Fear the Foam". I know this probably didn't cause my issues but I'm struggling to come up with a reason as to why this happened.

There is an enormous thread here that talks about horrible tasting brews that, given time, turned out anywhere from pretty good to amazing.

Three weeks - and an uncarbonated three weeks at that - isn't enough time to even make a guess as to what this beer will taste like, if you only give it a chance to become beer.

Will this be a quick turnaround beer? Probably not.

Will you end up with good beer if you are patient? Probably so.

I recently had a wheat beer that did the same thing. I ramped up to around 75 like you said and after only 2 weeks in bottles it was carbed and tasted great.

Back