wine corking questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
I just corked my first batch of wine today and got thinking and did a little research after the fact....

I used #8 corks, and a bench corker. I read that I could have used #9 corks with that corker to seal better.....Im guessing I'll be okay though?

More important question...I used first quality corks...was I supposed to soak these before using them???

Should I be okay if I didnt soak them? It that only done for the sanitizing purpose, or does it help seal.

You're fine without soaking. I've read conflicting things about soaking/not soaking. The last few times I've just squirted some sulfite solution on them when I sanitized the bottles and they are fine.

I always use #8 corks, because I use a handcorker. For a floor corker, you should probably use #9 next time. They will be fine anyway. I'm hoping to buy a floor corker fairly soon. Bottling and corking 6 gallons of wine is a real pain with a hand corker.

How funny. The men are trying to convince him to become a cork soaker, while the woman is saying he doesn't have to be...

She wants him to slide his dirty cork in the hole.

The soaking has to do with making the cork softer and easier to push in than a "dirty cork"...always use protective and sanitary procedures and you'll end up with a better moan, er, whine, er, I mean wine...;)

Yeah, I didnt do any kind of sanitizing on the corks....Hopefully the 13% abv will protect me. I'll just leave them as is then....I was thinking maybe I was going to pull them and recork all of them.

the floor corker worked sweet lorena. Definatly worth it if you do lots of wine.

Oh....I did soak my cork last night btw....LOL

Latest posts

Back