Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
best deal i have found, pulling the trigger on this
www.ruralking.com
Ace Roto Mold 15 Gallon Full Drain Inductor Tank Stand INFD15-ST $64.99
Banjo 2" Polypropylene Bolted Ball Valve V200 $24.99
shipping to 19072 for 2 tanks and 2 valves UPS ground $22.86

You can save 15 a tank through ohiovalley, 52 a piece. They also carry the 30g model just ask Jarrod in email.

oops... ordered the stands not the tanks
corrected order placed

2 Ace Roto Mold 15 Gallon Full Drain Inductor Tank IN0015-19 @ $61.99
2 Banjo 1-1/2" Polypropylene Bolted Ball Valve V150 @ $22.99
2 Nipple Male Thread 1 1/2" @$2.99
shipping to 19072 UPS ground $17.67
total $193.61
After keeping the very nice RuralKing rep on the line to correct the order I didn't have the heart to take my business elsewhere. I'm pretty happy with two tanks with valves for less than 2 Franklins, but I'll check the ohio valley to see if it would be better after shipping.
I started at another sight wich "guaranteed" the best price and lowest shipping... well the price wasn't lowest and the shipping was over $90- Buyer Beware

You can save 15 a tank through ohiovalley, 52 a piece. They also carry the 30g model just ask Jarrod in email.

RK (at least on their web site) has free shipping on orders over $49 so either a wash price wise, or since he in in PA he might have saved money since presumably shipping would have been higher IN=>PA than IN=>OH.

edit: If he used the coupon code from the web site. which it looks like he didn't. :(

RK (at least on their web site) has free shipping on orders over $49 so either a wash price wise, or since he in in PA he might have saved money since presumably shipping would have been higher IN=>PA than IN=>OH.

edit: If he used the coupon code from the web site. which it looks like he didn't. :(

missed the free shipping code... still pretty happy with the purchase. A conical with valve and nipple for $88 is less than another supplier wanted for shipping alone.

You get a 1-1/2" Stainless Steel Closed Nipple that allows you to connect the FPT Ball valve

AHHhh, ok...i read that part as a threaded to Barb fitting, was thinking of the ball-lock out side, which they also have on the site:
http://www.ruralking.com/adapter-male-thread-1-1-2-1-1-2barb.html

Im assuming this is the correct piece?
http://www.ruralking.com/nipple-male-thread-1-1-2.html

In that case, wouldn't it be harder to clean the inside of the fermenter if there are female threads, vs a 2" MPT where the inside of the fermenter has smooth walls. IE (easier to clean to ball valves threads, than the ones inside the vessel?

$51.87 great price, almost 20% less than my best price. didn't check to see what shipping would be, but if/when I'm looking again I'll be checking ohiovalleyag.com

Just ordered one of these from Ohio Valley thanks for the link.

Yeah it's definitely a great price. I'm not even brewing AG yet and I thought about buying one for future use.

Don't need to be doing AG to use one of these, soon as you go to 10 gallon extract batches (what I'm doing at the moment while I get my equipment and knowledge of AG setup)

Emailed Jarrod and ordered one yesterday. Nice guy even sent me a 5% discount code so the tank was even cheaper. Let the fun begin.....:ban:

Just ordered one of these from Ohio Valley thanks for the link.

Unbelievable, I just ordered this thing yesterday morning and the UPS man just delivered it. I'm not very far from them but I figured at least 3 days.

Yea I was a state away and got it next day. Still have my stand to build, but I'm a believer so far!

Well,,,, as some others I pulled the trigger too,,,,, but I went for 2 tanks and stands!!!

Ordering two of these from Ohio Valley and am going to do a build like the guys at Hess. I am then going to drop a stainless steel coil through the screw on lid in both and run a homeade glycol setup through them for temp control. I dont see any reason why this wont work out well. So long as it is kept very clean and sanitized right after use.

I forgot to post this earlier, If ordering from Ohio Valley use discount code FACEBOOK5 and get 5% of the total price.:rockin:

Got mine last Friday and filled it with 12.5 gallons of Yooper's DFH 60min Clone on the same day. This will be a test batch to see where the yeast cake sits for the bottom drain. By the looks of it I may seal the lid and add a blowoff tube because some krausen made it through the lid a few days ago and made a mess as it dripped down the sides. This thing is awesome!

I don't believe anyone bought these.. 114 posts and noones posted a dang pic yet?

I want to see how y'all are setting them up...

Also what are you doing for airlocks?

I don't believe anyone bought these.. 114 posts and noones posted a dang pic yet?

I want to see how y'all are setting them up...

Also what are you doing for airlocks?

I'm curious too. Also, subbed for later review to be part of my build.

I built one of these ~2.5 years ago from a NORWESCO tank. So far it's fermented > 300 gallons of award winning beer. They work! Here are a few pics of the tank & Fermentation chamber.

Tank in Fermentation Chamber w/RANCO controller
DSCN1281.jpg

Fermentation Chamber w/5250 BTU Window AC unit
DSCN1274.jpg

Conical on the stand
ConicalFermenter003.jpg

Top view
ConicalFermenter005.jpg

Racking Port inside via a bulkhead
ConicalFermenter006.jpg

Filling the conical from a bottling bucket (a pump is in the plans)
DSCN1321.jpg

Excellent aeration
DSCN1320.jpg

The type of valves I used
BajnoPolypropyleneBoltedBallValve.jpg

The lid doesn't seal very well but it seals good enough to get the job done. If you're handy you can build one of these quite easily. When fermentation is done I purge the trub & yeast via the dump valve until it's clear, fill the kegs from the racking port and then harvest the yeast from the dump valve. Cheers!!!

hamiltont,
your setup is quite nice. Congratulations on a job well done. I only brew 3-5 gal batches for myself, but I'm about to teach a buddy how to brew. Maybe, we scale up to 10gal batches and just rip off your stand!

Ordering two of these from Ohio Valley and am going to do a build like the guys at Hess. I am then going to drop a stainless steel coil through the screw on lid in both and run a homeade glycol setup through them for temp control. I dont see any reason why this wont work out well. So long as it is kept very clean and sanitized right after use.

You should be quite happy. That's the setup I use for mine (and the setup I made for the local microbrewery that uses the 110 gal version)

I am starting mine tonight. I am going to try to design a stand that will slide into the shelving slots in the fridge. I am going to make a plywood base with a 15" hole and try to offset the legs to the center. I am adding a yeast catcher that I saw earlier in this thread. That looks like a great idea. I will post pics as I get things assembled.

Back