Apollo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxposure

Reaction score
I need some help with my first recipe. I have a handful of Apollo hops and thought that I might make a double IPA with those and some simple malts. Pointers from anyone familiar with the hops? I hope to brew this on Independence Day with my new stock pot, propane burner and immersion chiller.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP 001
Yeast Starter: 2 Liters
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 73
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 at 63 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 63 degrees

7.5lbs of Extra Pale LME
1.5 Pounds of Wheat LME
0.5 lbs of Corn Sugar.

.5 oz Apollo [19.00%]AA (60 minutes)
.25 oz Apollo [19.00%]AA (30 minutes)
.25 oz Apollo [19.00%]AA (15 minutes)
.25 oz Apollo [19.00%]AA (5 minutes)
.5 oz Apollo [19.00%]AA (Dry Hop)

Full Boil.
Bring total contents of water to boil. Remove from heat and stir in the Wheat LME and the Corn Sugar. Return to heat. Begin the hop schedule. During the last 15mins of the boil, stir in the Extra Pale LME. Cool. Transfer to primary and pitch the appropriate amount of yeast. (I'll be pitching around 2 liters) Let sit in the primary for 10 days, transfer to a secondary and dry hop for another 2 weeks. Prime, bottle, condition, and enjoy!

nice looking recipe, some might say to add steeping grains, but truth be told I've done it without, went straight LME like your recipe and that beer (due to massive late hopping) was one of my best.

Anyhow, I would do some flameout hops, as in push the 5 min to flameout, then let steep for 20 or so, initiate whirpool, then cool. Do you have any more apollo or is that the rest of your stash? I have 1/2 lb. of this hop headed to me in a farmhouse brewing order, and have NO idea what they taste like, but at 18% AA, they really might kick a**.

Any updates? I just bought some Apollo as im a huge fan of the grapefruit flavor. I am curious as to how the wheat LME turned out....as i usually stick to ultralight malt extract. Rarely combine different malt flavors...so would love an update!!!

Latest posts

Back