Plastic spigot for K Tea container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akosei

Reaction score
I know you're not supposed to let plastic contact your KT so I'm concerned about doing continuous brewing in my cool ceramic container that has a plastic spigot. Any ideas on the importance of replacing the spigot and links to places where I might find a non-plastic spigot?

Sorry not to highjack your thread, but why are you not supposed to let plastic touch the Kombucha?

I read the KT is very acidic and the plastic can leach into the brew...especially plastic that's in constant contact with your brew. I don't know how bad this leaching could be, will it be obvious and cause the spigot to leak or is it something you don't have to worry about? I've never brewed before so I'm trying to cover my bases before jumping into the process.

That is very good to know. I was considering brewing this in a large plastic bucket to save some money on containers.

Thanks

Just to make things more confusing, I've seen photos of people brewing KT in those big plastic dispensers like they have at church functions.:confused: I was hoping that some KT brewers could shed some light on the plastic use. In the meantime, I guess I'll use my ceramic container and watch how the plastic part reacts...

I know the whole "Plastic is bad" argument, but the primary contaminant supposedly released is the benzyne that's use in the process of making the plastic, and THAT benzyne is almost entirely "leached" out with whatever the liquid the container first holds. I'd recommend using the plastic parts to hold (or in the case of just the spigot, to soak it) vinegar, since the acidity and chemical makeup are similar, for a few days and then rinsing well before using for your kombucha vessel.

On a side note, I've often wondered if the case can be made that it's not necessarily the leaching of compounds that can affect the organisms, but possibly that the plastic, and shapes MAYBE, that have the same effect on single-celled organisms as IUD's have on - well it's a family-friendly site so I won't go there.... but seriously, it makes no sense that an IUD should work, but it does; maybe something along the same lines going on with this plastic issue? JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE, so don't anyone go getting on my case that this is what I believe. Just wondering...

- Tim

Back