first competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I got my scorecards back from the first homebrew competition I've entered recently. I entered a belgian IPA that I made, which was one of the best beers I've ever brewed. Tasted and looked nearly identical to flying dog raging *****.

One scorecard gave it a 39, which was really good for my first entry, and also considering that it was very undercarbed.

The other scorecard gave it a 25. After reading the comments, I think the guy just doesn't really care for the style or understand it. He said it lacked hops, despite the fact that it was 55 IBUs (I really wouldn't want to go any higher either). Also there were other comments that didn't make much sense.

Yeah, yeah, I know this is probably par for the course and I know that my beer didn't deserve to win, but what happens when a judge just doesn't care for your beer? Maybe if I stuck to a more specific category? Should I enter more than one beer in a competition?

That's par for the course unfortunately. That's why I believe the BJCP program is so important. At least it's an attempt to get all judges on the same page and to understand how to evaluate beer, regardless of the style.

I just got some sheets back from a local brewpub competition. One judge claimed it was almost too bitter (english ipa), another said it needed more hops. Happens a lot.

Don't confuse hoppy and bittering (common problem). Since this is a specialty ale, the guide isn't all that specific and many people expect in-your-face hop aroma for anything called an IPA. I would have looked for a moderate aroma that did not mask the Belgian characteristics.

Don't confuse hoppy and bittering (common problem). Since this is a specialty ale, the guide isn't all that specific and many people expect in-your-face hop aroma for anything called an IPA. I would have looked for a moderate aroma that did not mask the Belgian characteristics.

That's exactly what it had. I would have had to blast that thing with aroma hops to make them stand out over the yeast, and at that point why not just make a normal IPA?

This wasn't a BJCP-sanctioned event. I think I'll stick to those, and not enter somewhat esoteric beers.

Back