Oxi Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshinefield

Reaction score
Many people claim to use oxy clean to clean their keggs and carboys etc. Is this the same type of oxy clean you find at wally world and pictured below ?

ForumRunner_20121221_114801.jpg

tshinefield said:
Many people claim to use oxy clean to clean their keggs and carboys etc. Is this the same type of oxy clean you find at wally world and pictured below ?

This is the stuff I've been using for over a year. Works great and i've had no taste issues. I do a thorough rinse after soaking however. You will find that your tubing will become cloudy if soaked overnight so u may not wanna soak the tubing longer than a couple hours. I also read where certain plastics can be made brittle when using oxyclean ie certain aftermarket site glass so u may wanna research that too. Happy brewing.

If your tubing gets cloudy, use some vinegar to rinse it off, it's just precipitate from your water.

This is the stuff I've been using for over a year. Works great and i've had no taste issues. I do a thorough rinse after soaking however. You will find that your tubing will become cloudy if soaked overnight so u may not wanna soak the tubing longer than a couple hours. I also read where certain plastics can be made brittle when using oxyclean ie certain aftermarket site glass so u may wanna research that too. Happy brewing.

Ultimately, I don't think it much matters what kind of "oxy clean" type product you use. Scented or unscented, as long as you rinse your equipment afterwards you should be good. I've used scented oxy clean brand cleaner for years without any leftover scents; mind you, I don't leave plastic stuff soaking in it longer than needed (a couple hours at most). I like the idea of the Sun unscented that's cheap from the dollar store - I'll go for that next time :D

it all works...get the "Free" version if it is available, but the generic and version pictured work just fine.

Back