Question Regarding Aeration Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
So I just got my handy-dandy O2 system in the mail today. I'm wondering, after I'm done aerating the wort, should the O2 bottle be removed from the regulator, or left in place? I ask because I'm not sure if the regulator will allow a slow leak from the tank.

Regarding the aeration itself, should the stone just be plopped in there and the valve opened? Any need to move the stone around over the course of the aeration, or just let it sit?

How do you guys store the diffusion stone? I know they're fairly prone to clogging, and would like to keep them out of harms way between brews.

So I just got my handy-dandy O2 system in the mail today. I'm wondering, after I'm done aerating the wort, should the O2 bottle be removed from the regulator, or left in place? I ask because I'm not sure if the regulator will allow a slow leak from the tank.

How do you guys store the diffusion stone? I know they're fairly prone to clogging, and would like to keep them out of harms way between brews.

If you're concerned about a leak, disconnect the regulator; out of sight, out of mind. Lucky the bottles are cheap.

As far as the diffusion stone and storage, I rubberband a small plastic baggie over the stone, leaving it attached to the wand. They are prone to clogging when touched with your hands and the resultant oils. A quick dip in StarSan and you're good to oxygenate the wort.

I leave mine soaking in a glass w/ star san (detached from tubing). But after reading flyangler18's response, I think next time I will just leave it attached to the tubing so I don't have to put it together each time (but still leave stone in starsan).

I disconnect the reg after each use find its easier to store anyways. I boil the stone every so often to get it really clean then I wrap it in saran wrap and put a rubber band around it.

I'm not necessarily concerned about a leak, just wondering if keeping the bottle attached (or detaching it) is the best way of getting the most life.

Regarding the aeration process itself: just dunk the stone and leave it for the 90-odd seconds, or move it around during the aeration time?

Back