Built a 'Super Chiller'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been working on a 20G brewery for a little while now and when it came to chilling the wort I was in a quandry over using a CFC/plate chiller or sticking with an immersion chiller. I'd used a chillus convolutus on my 10G setup and switched to an IC/whirlpool setup. I was happier with the IC/whirlpool setup.

Realizing that a 50' IC probably wasn't going to chill fast enough and that if I just made a 100' IC the last 40' would be useless, I decided to make a dual-path chiller. I have a single in/single out that tees off into 2 X 50' X 1/2" coils. I was skeptical this would work all that well and I built it with the intention I'd probably have to cut it back apart and sell it off as a couple standard chillers, but it worked great! On the system test burn and without the whirlpool hooked up (but rocking the chiller) I was able to chill from 212* to 91* in 10 minutes. In a real life brew test, I was able to chill from 212* to 68* in 20 minutes using 71* ground water to 100* then switching to 35* water. The 35* bath ended at ~60*.

Anyway, I'm really with the results so far. I still need to solder the whirlpool return to it. Here is a pict right after it was built:

super_chiller_1.jpg

Beats trying to wrap tubing around a bucket and argon bottle. With the fittings directly over the chiller, aren't yo uworried about leaking chilling water into the wort?

BM will have to answer the question but the name of the picture is "pre-chiller" so that might give an indication.:)

That's a lot of copper! How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking? I love it! Glad it seems to work real well for you- anticipating your results once you tweak it more :)

That's a lot of copper! How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking? I love it! Glad it seems to work real well for you- anticipating your results once you tweak it more :)

Well, I was pretty impatient, so I bought the copper coils at Home Depot and the rest of the fittings at Lowes. The total with 2 sets of quick disconnects and the flare fittings for the temperature probes ( I can measure in/out temps of the chiller water) I spent about $210. Now, I paid $78 each for the copper coils. At the time I did it I could have got the coils from ICS for only $50 each plus $30 shipping for both and they're even cheaper today. So.... It can be built for quite a bit less than I did it for, but I wanted it right away.

Back