Apple Juice? or Apple Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmeldrum

Reaction score
Iam looking around for the answer and i couldnt find it. But what is the difference can you make a batch with eather of the two? I have a local orchard and i wanted to use their apples but they only have apple cider not juice? Is their a difference? What do you think?
Jeffro

There is no official difference between apple cider and apple juice in the US. In England cider is fermented and juice is not.

However it is usually true that cider is fresh pressed from apples while juice is made from concentrate. Cider is usually pasteurized but often unfiltered. Juice will be pasteurized and filtered as part of the concentration process.

There are ofcourse many exceptions to these generalities. Most apple juice in the US is concentrated so that it can more easily be stored for a longer time. The concentrate will last much longer without spoiling and takes up less room to store. This allows companies like Motts to have a regular supply of apple juice available to sell the consumer while apple cider is usually only available from local orchards in the fall and winter.

I think cider tastes much better than juice and would be my choice for making hard cider or cyser.

Craig

You should also keep in mind that cider we take a longer time to clear and may require repeated rackings, while apple juice does not because everything that you want to settle out and clear has been filtered out, so the only sediment will be yeast. Apple juice can be ready for bottling in 30 days, while cider can take severalmonths to clear.

Srsly .... your from cleveland and you have that as your icon/avatar? Puke.

Yep, Always have been and always will be a Steelers fan, no matter where I currently reside.

Actually I do like Cleveland and will root for the other home teams, just not the Cleveland NFL team.

On topic. The cysers I have made using unfiltered apple juice usually fall clear pretty quickly. I think the pectin enzyme I add may help with that as it breaks down the pectins that are usually responsible for cloudy juice.

Craig

not allways the case
Murray Cider Company
this is the only easily avalibe (harris teeter) apple liquid that is in a glass container around where i live

btw brewing directly in the bottles (even though they are 1/2 gallon jugs is fine right?

as far as the origonal question is concerned for taste heres a ranking

1 unpasturized apple cider (with pulp)
2 pasturized apple cider (with pulp)
3 apple juice (filtered)

myne is the filtered one but it comes in a fermentable continer so i'm not complaining

Latest posts

Back