Best online retailers for NJ area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just moved to NJ a little over a month ago for grad school. I'm in Montclair and don't have a car, so I was wondering what online retailers people use. I don't really need recipe ingredients at the moment because I have bulk grain and some hops, but I need some bottlecaps and star san, maybe some yeast soon. Any recommendations?

Thanks all! :mug:

Morebeer recently opened a warehouse in Pennsylvania. I bought some ingredients from them and got them within a week even using the free shipping. They don't carry everything however, some things have to come from California. Not sure about yeast.

If you are in Montclair, you can take the train to South Orange and go to the Gaslight brew pub, they sell homebrew equipment (at least they used to) or take the train to Boonton and walk up the hill a bit to Cask and Kettle.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. They all sound like good ideas to me! Is the Gaslight brew pub worth checking out for the beer and food too?

lowtones84 said:
Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. They all sound like good ideas to me! Is the Gaslight brew pub worth checking out for the beer and food too?

I honestly have never been there, but I have heard good things. It is literally right off the train which is a plus.

love2brew is an NJ based company who sells from their warehouse either in person or online. They ship free on many things over 75 bucks too.

If you want to check them out

LINK

I've been going there pretty much since they opened up and have always been happy. They're also the only place you can order East Coast Yeast online and get it shipped anywhere.

Were you going to Brewer's Apprentice?

Yeah, but i've recently been using them more often. They're really friendly and they'll get whatever you need, as long as you call ahead or stop in, they can order it for you. Their prices are good, I just picked up a 50lb sack of 2-row from them and 5lbs of rye. I'll call ahead now, but sometimes I feel bad taking most of their stock of specialty grains.

Backstory: I moved up here from Virginia Beach about a year and a half ago. I was used to my LHBS down there where they had bulk amounts of pretty much any grain you could possibly need, and had a really nice updated and printed out list of everything they had in stock. You could take the list, select the grains, hops, yeast, adjuncts and any extras you needed. Put weight required and whether or not you wanted it crushed and/or separated from the other grains along with addition times for your hop amounts and they would package it all up for you. I got to know the guys that worked in there and I would tweak recipes with them and help them package the grain bill most the time.

First time I walked into BA with a recipe in hand, they took a look at the list and had most of it, but said they could order it, and told me to call ahead next time. It just seemed like they catered more for extract brewers and their brew-on-premise customers. Which makes sense if that's where they get their business, just not what I was expecting.

For the record: I like BA and have been using them more often... If you're new to brewing it's probably the best place around to go and get started.

I'm lucky enough to have family that brews in Milwaukee, WI and had the chance to visit the Northern Brewer there. So I've been somewhat spoiled. Here's some pictures from their self-service grain room.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

love2brew is an NJ based company who sells from their warehouse either in person or online. They ship free on many things over 75 bucks too.

If you want to check them out

LINK

I've been going there pretty much since they opened up and have always been happy. They're also the only place you can order East Coast Yeast online and get it shipped anywhere.

+1

I have heard nothing but GREAT things about love2brew. I don't use them but i know someone who uses them exclusively. Check them out if you can.

I will definitely use love2brew at some point, but I'm gonna check out the shop at gaslight this first time because right now all I need is some caps and starsan, and my birthday is coming up this week so a trip to the brewpub one evening might be cool :)

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions!

Yeah, but i've recently been using them more often. They're really friendly and they'll get whatever you need, as long as you call ahead or stop in, they can order it for you. Their prices are good, I just picked up a 50lb sack of 2-row from them and 5lbs of rye. I'll call ahead now, but sometimes I feel bad taking most of their stock of specialty grains.

That's odd. Honestly I've never done anything too crazy in the times I've shopped there. My brother lives in Freehold I live in New Brunswick so we're both about equidistant from Brewers App and Love2Brew but we've enjoyed the quality of the extract from Love2Brew more. We're into partial mash but even when we did steeping grains and extract there was a more noticeable twang from Brewers App's LME vs Love2Brew's DME. Once Love2Brew posted on facebook that they don't charge sales tax for brewing ingredients we made the full love2brew switch. We walk in with our list of ingredients and they're usually all there. I usually double check online for what I want before going in.

That's odd. Honestly I've never done anything too crazy in the times I've shopped there. My brother lives in Freehold I live in New Brunswick so we're both about equidistant from Brewers App and Love2Brew but we've enjoyed the quality of the extract from Love2Brew more. We're into partial mash but even when we did steeping grains and extract there was a more noticeable twang from Brewers App's LME vs Love2Brew's DME. Once Love2Brew posted on facebook that they don't charge sales tax for brewing ingredients we made the full love2brew switch. We walk in with our list of ingredients and they're usually all there. I usually double check online for what I want before going in.

They never should have been charging sales tax. There is no sales tax on food in NJ, and thats what your brewing ingredients are.

I also live in montclair and i find that Midwest is the best. shipping times and amount of inventory. ive been screwed a couple of times from northern brewer and never tried morebeer. I also like midwest's website the best!

Midwest and northern brewer are for the most part one in the same.

If I order anything online, I go through More Beer (now in PA and 1 day shipping) or Williams Brewing.

Hey bud. Look up Corrados for home brew supplies. They're on the border of Passaic and Paterson which isn't a very far trek from MSU or Montclair in general.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back