Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great. It is about time AL catches up! Even the White House is home brewing!

From alahomebrew.com

HB9 was prefiled by Rep. Mac McCutcheon for the 2013 Legislative Session that begins on February 5. The ALISON web site is not yet being updated to show prefiled House bills, but the bill is identical to the one that passed the House last year. The session will begin before you know it, so stay tuned and be ready help end the prohibition of Homebrewing in Alabama!

That Rep. McCutcheon is a good guy to. He went on the Brewing Network a whole back and gave a great interview.

That Rep. McCutcheon is a good guy to. He went on the Brewing Network a whole back and gave a great interview.

I wish I could vote for him. He is one of the best politicians in the state of Alabama.
My rep. voted against the homebrew bill the last two years. I wrote him and let him know he lost my vote for casting his lot with people that think I am a bootlegger and a criminal.

aubiecat said:
I wish I could vote for him. He is one of the best politicians in the state of Alabama.
My rep. voted against the homebrew bill the last two years. I wrote him and let him know he lost my vote for casting his lot with people that think I am a bootlegger and a criminal.

Good for you for being proactive and writing a letter. I think it's awesome seeing people so knowledgeable about this. Good luck.

The way prohibition passed wasn't that the 'drys' convinced legislators to vote with them - they actively worked to defeat them. If you weren't right on their issue, they came into your district and supported your opponent, who usually ended up winning. Doesn't matter on what issue they won or lost, just that they were gone and the new legislator had committed to voting with the drys.

If you want to change the law, change the legislators.

Got this email, just a bit of a rehash but still exciting none the less.

Welcome, to our hundreds of new subscribers since our last message at the end of the 2012 Legislative Session! Together, we will repeal Alabama's prohibition of Homebrewing, and finally become the 49th state to enjoy the hobby legally.

The big news is that we have a bill ready to go for when the 2013 Legislative Session starts on February 5. Bill number HB9 was recently introduced by our House sponsor, Rep. Mac McCutcheon. As planned, it is identical to the bill that passed the House last year, which will allow it to ride the momentum as a proven-passable bill. Being prefiled means the bill will be ready to move forward as soon as the session starts, so this is exciting news!

However, it is still up to all of us to convince each of our legislators to vote Yes. Since last year, we opened a Twitter account and a Facebook page to help spread the word. Follow https://twitter.com/AlaHomebrewing and Like https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alabama-Homebrewers-Right-to-Brew/233531956681605 to get more frequent updates. And of course, keep watching the News blog on our web site, http://www.alahomebrewing.org/news. Share this with your friends! As awareness and support increases, our collective voice becomes stronger.

Be sure to make plans to attend Fall Festiveale in Birmingham next Friday 11/2! http://www.fallfestivale.com/

Right to Brew will be there with the support of Avondale and Straight to Ale! We will be serving a Right to Brew beer from each brewery. These are homebrewer's recipes upscaled and brewed by the homebrewer on the pro equipment.

We will be getting the word out to all craft beer lovers letting them know that supporting Homebrew Legalization supports the guys who eventually turn into pro craft beer brewers.

Also, the following weekend 11/3-11/4 Avondale is hosting Right to Brew at their birthday party. They will be serving another RTB series beer there.

Guys - you've got to get out and attend these events where non homebrewers will be and get the word out. The beer these folks love come from us. Look at all the craft breweries in the state. How many are headed by a homebrewer? Damn near, if not, every one of them. Homebrewers are a small population, if we can get a handful of craft beer drinkers to voice their support for us too, it would make a huge difference!

Good luck with this. Seems so odd that what we do as a hobby is illegal for some people. Can you imagine brewing on Saturday morning and being arrested for it? Hop it changes for you. Stay Strong.

Can you imagine brewing on Saturday morning and being arrested for it?

Not just arrested, convicted of a FELONY with a minimum sentence of 1 year in a state penitentiary. Losing your job, your security clearance, your right to vote, and most of your money in legal defense.

Not that this would actually happen, it doesn't happen here. The ABC has even stated that they would not prosecute and they SUPPORT the legalization effort.

The problem is that all it would take is one over zealous cop with something to prove and all that could be a possibility.

Our bill is kept from passing each session by the "Holier than Thou" Baptists who believe that because they can't control themselves around a bottle of Hooch that nobody can and that it should be abolished completely.

Our bill is kept from passing each session by the "Holier than Thou" Baptists who believe that because they can't control themselves around a bottle of Hooch that nobody can and that it should be abolished completely.

Work to defeat them in the elections. If they aren't in the legislature, they can't vote against legalization. Again, the homebrewing issue doesn't have to be the one to focus on, whatever issue they are vulnerable on is fine. After you defeat one or two, then you can go to the others and ask for their support, making it clear that you will work for their defeat if they don't support your issue.

The chance for arrest and conviction doesn't need to be even a possibility.

Agree 100%.

Work to defeat them in the elections. If they aren't in the legislature, they can't vote against legalization. Again, the homebrewing issue doesn't have to be the one to focus on, whatever issue they are vulnerable on is fine. After you defeat one or two, then you can go to the others and ask for their support, making it clear that you will work for their defeat if they don't support your issue.

We are actually up against a paid religious lobbyist organization. They have a bit more voting clout than do the homebrewers. It's no big deal though. All the progress we have made has been by appealing to logic, facts, and reason. Something not all that often done in the government!

Agree 100%.

We are actually up against a paid religious lobbyist organization. They have a bit more voting clout than do the homebrewers. It's no big deal though. All the progress we have made has been by appealing to logic, facts, and reason. Something not all that often done in the government!

ALCAP. It's my understanding that they would be trotting out a candidate to run against Mac McCutcheon because of his support for homebrew legislation.

Sounds good and I hope you are successful by using persuasion. But if not, then the way other groups operate is work to defeat them in elections. Our issue (homebrewing) wouldn't be the issue you'd defeat them on, likely, or the stand alone issue. Again, you don't have to defeat all of them, just one or two and then others begin to listen to you. I've been involved in this kind of effort and it can be effective. Of course, it takes a great deal of commitment.

That's unfortunate as well. Since I never hear anything about Mississippi and homebrewing I assume they're much further out from legalizing it.

Look what just arrived -

A6iCqF9CUAEM-8R.jpg

Right to Brew pint glasses are in the process of being distributed to select craft beer tap houses all over the state!

There are cases going to bars as far north as Huntsville, as far south as Orange Beach, as far east as Auburn, and as far west as Tuscaloosa.

Will they be available for order online as well?

Nope. Sorry. The official response to this question from the guy who organized the order is as posted on Facebook:

"These aren't for sale. They are signage on a glass. Every patron who is served a beer in one will see the logo and ask why it's there. The hope is that we are able to spread the word to thousands who otherwise wouldn't know that homebrewing isn't legal in Alabama, and if they go to the website that they will follow on Twitter, like on Facebook, or sign up for e-mail notices - and we hope they will contact their elected officials in support of our cause."

Right to Brew pints are popping up all over the State now! They have been spotted in several places in Huntsville, lots of places in Montgomery, I know there are several cases in Auburn, Tuscaloosa, and a load going to Dothan and Mobile!

If you're looking to support the places that are supporting Right to Brew, check out the official Right To Brew twitter feed where pics of the filled glasses are showing up. https://twitter.com/AlaHomebrewing

If you don't have twitter and you get a Right to Brew pint, post your picture here and I'll pass it along to @AlaHomeBrewing and @Seaninthesky and they will tweet your photo.

Montgomery folks can get a pint at:
Leroy
El Rey
Pine Bar
Zelda Cigar
Midtown Pizza Kitchen
Railyard Brewing

There will be more downtown options coming soon!

Just noticed that the sponsor of the Homebrewing Legalization Bill, Mac McCutcheon, was named Rules Committee Chairman. The Rules Committee selects the bills that the House Chamber can debate each day. Needless to say, this development is very good news for us!
Session starts Feb. 5

I took my rep to task over it, as well. He did reply, but in a very "politician" way, as follows:

Mr. Suddeth,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I voted against this bill last year in committee and on the floor.

I voted against it this year, in committee, and on the floor.

I will never vote to expand the creation of alcohol or to encourage the consumption of alcohol.

However, I will never vote to keep you or any other citizen from having the right to have your voice heard by the people through a referendum on the creation or consumption of alcohol.

This was not a referendum bill.

I do not drink alcohol.

I do not condemn people who drink alcohol. The legal consumption of alcohol is a personal choice.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this issue with me further.

JHM

John H. Merrill
State House 62
(205) xxx-xxxx - Cell

The nonsense about not preventing a referendum was a silly political smokescreen, and I resent it.

I also resent the bit about legal use of alcohol being a choice... hello, the homebrew bill is about repealing an antiquiated law so that I have the opportunity to legally produce and consume alcohol. Telling me that you have nothing against legal use, but that you will vote no on any alcohol bills, means that you consider me to be a criminal and want to keep it that way.

Needless to say, I vote against Mr Merrill.

One of my greatest personal moral battles is not drinking too much nor too often, it is the challenge of NOT hating politicians, almost the whole lot about 99.9%! I won't travel further down that rabbit hole.

That's unfortunate as well. Since I never hear anything about Mississippi and homebrewing I assume they're much further out from legalizing it.

MS has had bills die where common sense always goes to die, in legislative committee since 2007 or 2008. Yet given the passage of the abv bill last year and it's path traveled through the tourism committee in the house, there is renewed hope this year as it is THE main focus of legislative efforts for Raise Your Pints and is finally and thankfully assigned to the tourism committee. Who knows... who cares... I don't ask government for permission to exercise my natural rights. When liberty is outlawed, only outlaws will have liberty.

Would anyone like to hear about the 'baggy pants ban' voted into effect in my county seat? :(

One of my greatest personal moral battles is not drinking too much nor too often, it is the challenge of NOT hating politicians, almost the whole lot about 99.9%! I won't travel further down that rabbit hole.

MS has had bills die where common sense always goes to die, in legislative committee since 2007 or 2008. Yet given the passage of the abv bill last year and it's path traveled through the tourism committee in the house, there is renewed hope this year as it is THE main focus of legislative efforts for Raise Your Pints and is finally and thankfully assigned to the tourism committee. Who knows... who cares... I don't ask government for permission to exercise my natural rights. When liberty is outlawed, only outlaws will have liberty.

Would anyone like to hear about the 'baggy pants ban' voted into effect in my county seat? :(

Haha, wow.

Organize against his extremist views, make him pay for them politically and others will fall. That's a fundamental rule of political organizing. Your vote is important but it will take sustained organizing to unseat these radicals and punish them.

I took my rep to task over it, as well. He did reply, but in a very "politician" way, as follows:

The nonsense about not preventing a referendum was a silly political smokescreen, and I resent it.

I also resent the bit about legal use of alcohol being a choice... hello, the homebrew bill is about repealing an antiquiated law so that I have the opportunity to legally produce and consume alcohol. Telling me that you have nothing against legal use, but that you will vote no on any alcohol bills, means that you consider me to be a criminal and want to keep it that way.

Needless to say, I vote against Mr Merrill.

I emailed both my senator and my representative over this a couple weeks ago. My representative did not reply. My senator did reply, saying that the bill had died on the floor of the senate in the last session.

EDIT: Deleted the next part because, on further reflection, it wasn't terribly intelligent.

Back