Complete Cider noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demzly

Reaction score
Why are there so few recipes that only use apples?

Is it due to ease of using juice? cost? etc?

Just curious, i want to get into cider making and have made beer before. Is using all apples not comparable to all-grain ?

Also, I attempted to make cider today.

Got 1/2 gallon using gala, bramlet, granny smith and goden delicious (all supermarket apples :ban: ) then used youngs cider yeast and nothing else

Am i a complete noob? tutorials are very limited online

Many thanks

Well using apples for cider is more like making wine from fruit, not extract. You have to kill off wild yeasts, or roll the dice, but that's simple enough. The real issue is, it's a lot harder to juice 30 lbs of apples than crush and mash grain. Your post makes it sound like you already have some way to juice hard fruit. If you do, then just use some yeast killing chemical like campden tablets in accordance with the instructions and you should be golden.

Well using apples for cider is more like making wine from fruit, not extract. You have to kill off wild yeasts, or roll the dice, but that's simple enough. The real issue is, it's a lot harder to juice 30 lbs of apples than crush and mash grain. Your post makes it sound like you already have some way to juice hard fruit. If you do, then just use some yeast killing chemical like campden tablets in accordance with the instructions and you should be golden.

ok that sounds good.

Yes I used a builders rammer in a fermentation bin to smash the s**t out of the apples then put it in an old 2nd hand press. But I didnt use campden tabs so am I likely to have an infection.

genuine question, Is it me or are there less resources for cider making than beer? can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources for apple choices and walk-throughs and etc

Thanks for your response

Some people say infection, some people say wild yeast. Don't sweat it for your first batch, especially if you pitched yeast; it will probably outperform anything wild. Once you've pitched, just leave it sit, clear, prime and bottle more or less like beer. As for apple choice etc, there is some stuff on HBT but going to a cider specific site might be more handy.

Some people say infection, some people say wild yeast. Don't sweat it for your first batch, especially if you pitched yeast; it will probably outperform anything wild. Once you've pitched, just leave it sit, clear, prime and bottle more or less like beer. As for apple choice etc, there is some stuff on HBT but going to a cider specific site might be more handy.

thanks for the help.

any recommendations on sites? :mug:

I'd just be googling one myself, sorry. I haven't used much beyond HBT. Love to hear how this batch turns out.

Back