God's Gift to Humankind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm... a bump for this so-wrong-it's-definitely-right thread as I'll be making cheese curds this weekend. And assuing they go OK, a poutine will surely follow...

WooHoo! :D

A few tips: Make sure your curds are at room temp, your 'gravy' is hot off the burner and the fries are right out of the fryer. Even then it may help to have your broiler on and toss the whole thing under there to melt the curds a little bit. It's such a fun comfort food!

Maybe the most over-rated "dish" in the history of mankind

explain.

? I honestly don't get where you're coming from with this. It's diner food. I really don't see your point. It's not like we're talking about something you'd find at El Bulli.

explain.

? I honestly don't get where you're coming from with this. It's diner food. I really don't see your point. It's not like we're talking about something you'd find at El Bulli.

Its good
I like it
I will get it again

BUT
It was like a story where the ramp up/pomp and circumstance far outweighed the tale.

All I heard for a long time was POUTINE POUTINE POUTINE then I had it and was like MEH

Most comfort food is like that, and usually it is really the sentimental connection with the food rather than the food itself. As the saying goes, "It is what it is" :fro:

It's a good dish, especially if you do it right.

It's fries, cheese, and gravy! What's not to love?

Fresh cut and fried fries, fresh curd and a heaping pile of chili is the only thing better IMO.

Meatloaf is da bomb.

Just my opinion, and I was a cook for 15 years, but the best fries are frozen...not 'fresh cut'. I've made 'fresh cut french fries' for years in restaurants and I'm convinced frozen are better. I actually think freezing the precooked french fry is a key to getting the best possible fry.

When I read the OP I thought...swap chili for the gravy and you have chili-cheese fries...which are awesome. So if the gravy is good poutine must be awesome too.

Meatloaf is da bomb.

Just my opinion, and I was a cook for 15 years, but the best fries are frozen...not 'fresh cut'. I've made 'fresh cut french fries' for years in restaurants and I'm convinced frozen are better. I actually think freezing the precooked french fry is a key to getting the best possible fry.

When I read the OP I thought...swap chili for the gravy and you have chili-cheese fries...which are awesome. So if the gravy is good poutine must be awesome too.

Twice fried is the trick for fresh cut. You need to fry them, let them drain for a bit and then fry them again.

After we fry a turkey for lunch meat, I'll fry up a mess of fries to help "clean" the oil. Hot turkey sandwiches with fries and gravy. Usually have lots of people over on those days.

Yum!

Meatloaf is da bomb.

The frozen fries, the reason they work so well is they are steam cooked (or something like that...I saw it on "How it's made" or whatever that show is). The way I make my fries is take a Russet, stab it a few times with a knife so it doesn't explode and microwave it until it just yields to finger pressure ever-so-slightly. Cut them in half lengthwise, and then into 1/3rds lengthwise and let them cool. Then into the 365 oil.

Twice fried is the trick for fresh cut. You need to fry them, let them drain for a bit and then fry them again.
Yes I know...I worked at TGI Fridays for many years. At first they didn't even have fries...it was fresh cut/fried potato chips. Then they went to fries. We had to cut/blanch 55 gallon drums at a time.

But it's more than just that. For both fries or chips...in order for them to not brown too much you have to wash them in ice water (must be ice water). This rinses extra starch from the fries. Then you keep doing that until the water runs clear. TGI Fridays had a special fry sink with a fry cutter over it and a pump with a screened intake attached to the side of the sink. The pump circulated the ice water.

It's also much, much better if you let them fully cool before you fry them the second time. Freezing is even better.

MacDonalds actually soaks their fries in a sugar water solution (they actually had a patent for that).

But after doing all that for years and also using frozen for years I'm 100% convinced the best fries are frozen. It's just one of those things.:)

Back