BCS460 and Netgear Adapter Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrevino

Reaction score
If anyone out there is using this setup and can help an IT illiterate (not completely, just a little) set it up id really appreciate it. I got the the adapter setup on my network and the router has assigned it an ip of 192.168.1.254. When I try and access the bcs using the 192.168.1.254 on the wireless network I cant get past the adapter setup screen. I can only get the wired connection to work and that is using the default ip for the bcs 169.254.0.63.

HHmm.. I don't have that setup - I used an old wireless router and put DD-WRT on it so that I could plug into that.
But, have you tried using BCSFinder? I'm wondering if the adapter assigns a unique IP to whatever it's plugged into.

I've never messed with a BCS460, but it sounds like your wireless network and your wired network are on two different subnets. 169.254.0.63 is normally a default IP a device gets when it can't pull an IP from the router.

How is your network set up? Do you pull completely different (all four octets) IP's when your are wired versus wireless?

I've never messed with a BCS460, but it sounds like your wireless network and your wired network are on two different subnets. 169.254.0.63 is normally a default IP a device gets when it can't pull an IP from the router.

How is your network set up? Do you pull completely different (all four octets) IP's when your are wired versus wireless?

The 169.254.0.63 is the BCS address when using a cat5 cable connected between the computer and the BCS. It's not on the network at all in that scenario.

HHmm.. I don't have that setup - I used an old wireless router and put DD-WRT on it so that I could plug into that.
But, have you tried using BCSFinder? I'm wondering if the adapter assigns a unique IP to whatever it's plugged into.

Tried the BCSFinder and no luck. I posted something about this on the BCS forum but no responses yet, so if any HBT member can help Id appreciate the assistance.

If anyone out there is using this setup and can help an IT illiterate (not completely, just a little) set it up id really appreciate it. I got the the adapter setup on my network and the router has assigned it an ip of 192.168.1.254. When I try and access the bcs using the 192.168.1.254 on the wireless network I cant get past the adapter setup screen. I can only get the wired connection to work and that is using the default ip for the bcs 169.254.0.63.

Do you normally run a wireless network at your house? Once you have the adapter setup at the BCS can you see the connection at your router?

Do you normally run a wireless network at your house? Once you have the adapter setup at the BCS can you see the connection at your router?

Yes and yes. I have a wireless network setup and once the adapter Is setup it is showing as connected to the router.

This is what I see when I try and access the bcs

netgear_screen_shot.bmp

It sounds to me like the issue is that you're attempting to access the ip of the wireless adapter but what you really want to access is the ip of the BCS. On most wireless routers, you can assign an pseudo static ip to any of the clients that connect to it. Usually, to do this, there is somewhere that you can enter in a MAC address and then enter in the ip that you'd like it to claim. In this case, I would suggest plugging the BCS into your network with a cable and finding the MAC address of the BCS. Give your BCS an ip in the wireless router so that it will always grab the same ip from the DHCP server. Then, plug the BCS into your wireless adapter and open a web browser to the ip that you assigned to the BCS.
The other thing that you can try is since the BCS will most likely grab the next ip sequentially after the wireless adapter grabs its ip, you could try hitting the ip that is next (add 1 to the last number after the last dot) and see what you get.

I had to go to the demo BCS on the ecc forums (Just ordered my 460 yesterday) but to get the MAC address of the BCS, plug it into a wired port and look at the dhcp clients list on your router (how this is done will vary by vendor but if you need help, I can try and walk you through it). Then once you can find the ip that it is pulling, open a web browser to the BCS interface, click on system settings and then communication settings (near the top of the system settings page) in order to get the MAC address for the static ip setup.

You guys are awesome! I didnt even think of the router assigning the BCS an IP address different then the adapters.. Its working.

good to hear, I was trying to get at that earlier but I wasn't sure why you couldn't find it using BCSFinder. Before I'd setup a static IP, I used BCSFinder to figure out which random IP the BCS was landing on.

I had to go to the demo BCS on the ecc forums (Just ordered my 460 yesterday) but to get the MAC address of the BCS, plug it into a wired port and look at the dhcp clients list on your router (how this is done will vary by vendor but if you need help, I can try and walk you through it). Then once you can find the ip that it is pulling, open a web browser to the BCS interface, click on system settings and then communication settings (near the top of the system settings page) in order to get the MAC address for the static ip setup.

I have looked at the BCS460 when attached to my router and the mac address is the same in both places... What am I missing here? I can connect to the BCS460 when it is attached to the router and when it is connected to the pc but i cant connect to it when it is attached to the Netgear wnce2001????

cd

With the BCS connected to the router get the ip address assigned to it by loging ntothe router and going to the client list. At the same time I would just make sure that the netgear is showing up in the client list, thus confirming that the netgear is correctly setup. If both are showing in the client list then it should be as simple as plugging the Bcs into the netgear, power up both devices and them going to the ip address that the router assigned to the Bcs when it was connected directly to the router.

I just saw this thread, I have a similar setup and do the same thing. after you determine the IP address the router assigns from the client list, wright it down. The next time you turn you system on it will get the same IP address, or one that differs in the final three digits. IE 192.168.1.001 or 192.168.1.002.

This way you can avoid needing to enable and view the client log each time you start up.

I think I will be installing the DD-WRT firmware to my system soon, and eliminate this problem.

Just a tip so that you don't have to worry about your router assigning a different IP address to the BCS after a reboot, power outage, etc. You can use both static IP's and dynamic IP's on your network. I do this for my BCS, print server, file server, Xbox, etc. None of them are using wireless adapters, but I believe this will still work.

Configure your the DHCP server on your router to issue IP's starting at 100 (e.g. 192.168.1.100). Then assign a static IP to the BCS-460 that's outside the range you've designated for the DHCP server; for example, 192.168.1.10. This way you can guarantee you BCS will always have the same IP address and it won't conflict with any addresses issued by your router.

My networking skills are a little rusty, so take this with a grain of salt, but you may also need to set the gateway on the BCS to use the IP address on your wireless adapter. Then the gateway on your wireless adapter would be set to the IP address of your router.

Like microbusbrewery stated setting up a static ip will help with long term use but I forgot to mention that once you have everything setup and working you need to let the netgear adapter fully boot and get green lights before powering up the BCS or it will not establish the wireless connection. Don't ask me why, I'm not an IT guy just a beer nerd.

Like microbusbrewery stated setting up a static ip will help with long term use but I forgot to mention that once you have everything setup and working you need to let the netgear adapter fully boot and get green lights before powering up the BCS or it will not establish the wireless connection. Don't ask me why, I'm not an IT guy just a beer nerd.

yes the BCS sends out a packet asking for an IP address as soon as its turned on. If it does not get one it uses the default. so if the router is not on to respond to the request of the BCS, it wont be accessible.

Latest posts

Back