Electric VS Gas Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance71975

Reaction score
Right now, i brew with a gas burner, I am in Ohio and the problem is, it is way too cold for me to be standing outside brewing, I really hate the cold lol. Electric brewing seems to be a way around this, and from what i have been reading also seems cheaper in the long run. A full set up of either gas or Electric seems to be about the same price. What are the other pros and cons?

Please keep it friendly, im not trying to start a war here i would just like to hear the benefits and down falls of each before i spend a butt-load of money on a system.

Kitchen brewer here. Benefits are like you said. Heat in the winter, air-conditioning in the summer. But convenience is the biggest factor for me. Nice big counter, deep sink with hot running water, clean working environment. I put all my post boil stuff in the dishwasher and run an antibacterial cycle and then take it out as I need it. I've got a turkey fryer burner and a SQ-14 burner, but haven't used either in a couple of years.

Only drawback for me is that I store all my gear in the basement. Hauling it upstairs and setting up is a PITA.

Disclaimer: Electric HLT and MLT, but boil on stovetop.

Kitchen brewer here. Benefits are like you said. Heat in the winter, air-conditioning in the summer. But convenience is the biggest factor for me. Nice big counter, deep sink with hot running water, clean working environment. I put all my post boil stuff in the dishwasher and run an antibacterial cycle and then take it out as I need it. I've got a turkey fryer burner and a SQ-14 burner, but haven't used either in a couple of years.

Only drawback for me is that I store all my gear in the basement. Hauling it upstairs and setting up is a PITA.

Disclaimer: Electric HLT and MLT, but boil on stovetop.

Well i do plan to convert the basement into a brewery, so no lugging up and down stairs.This is a few years off tho. I plan to have the unit stationary once installed Or at least as stationary as possible. I also plan to have Water pipes to the brew area and Prolly a large GPD ro/di unit.

Bzzzzzt!
Pro- Easier to automate in the future should you be one of "those" folks. Smaller footprint. Very quiet running. Ultra efficient power usage. Fail safe if used with a GFCI circuit breaker.

Con- Can't use a paint strainer hop bag that would touch the electric element in the boil kettle.

Bzzzzzt!
Pro- Easier to automate in the future should you be one of "those" folks. Smaller footprint. Very quiet running. Ultra efficient power usage. Fail safe if used with a GFCI circuit breaker.

Con- Can't use a paint strainer hop bag that would touch the electric element in the boil kettle.

Well, i am one of "those" People, but not by choice, i have a very bad back and any lifting over say 10 lbs= 2-6+ hours worth of pain. So i do want to have my set up fully automated so that i can do as much as possible with minimal lifting. For the record i would not dream of running an electric brewery without a GFCI circuit breaker!

My system isn't automated, I have "off" and "on" switches on my control panel. The reason I went all-electric indoor brewing is because of the weather- I only brewed outside once or twice on nice days. I didn't have water out to my garage, and even if I did it would be a seasonal thing.

I use a corner of my first floor laundry room for brewing now. The only issue is moisture. Brewing puts out a LOT of moisture. You'll need a ventilation system (range hood) or in my case I have a full-sized door that is next to the BK and I open it and turn on a fan.

The great part of using the system is that there is no lifting. Fill the HLT, pump to the MLT, gravity drain to the BK, pump through the CFC, etc. It's better than my stovetop for that reason.

My system isn't automated, I have "off" and "on" switches on my control panel. The reason I went all-electric indoor brewing is because of the weather- I only brewed outside once or twice on nice days. I didn't have water out to my garage, and even if I did it would be a seasonal thing.

I use a corner of my first floor laundry room for brewing now. The only issue is moisture. Brewing puts out a LOT of moisture. You'll need a ventilation system (range hood) or in my case I have a full-sized door that is next to the BK and I open it and turn on a fan.

The great part of using the system is that there is no lifting. Fill the HLT, pump to the MLT, gravity drain to the BK, pump through the CFC, etc. It's better than my stovetop for that reason.

That is what i was thinking, being able to Pump through all stages, But what i really want is computer controlled. I want to be able to dump the grains in the mash, push a button, and it follow pre set directions.

For example:

Put grains in. Push button, it measures exact amount of starting water needed,brings it to the step temp needed, say 122 protein rest(i use A LOT of Oat Malt lol) then it automatically holds the temp at 122 for say 30-45 mins, then automatically brings the temp up to say 156 for mash, Holds it there for 60 mins, then Automatically pumps it to the boil kettle and automatically sparges. Then an alarm goes off to tell me its has hit 212, then an alarm automatically goes off to tell me when to add every hop addition depending on the pre programmed recipe.

That would be my Dream Set Up.

I use a combo of electric and gas in my basement. Electric to heat the hot liquor tun, gas (vented out side) to heat the strike water and boil enclosed with stainless steel and hood. The electric is nice for the sparge water and HERMS; the gas is faster and overall I would have to say a bit cheaper especially when making 10-15 gallon batches. There are risks on either side but then again some homes use a gas range where others use electric - no need to box your self into a corner of 'one or the other'; hybrids can work when safely used

That is what i was thinking, being able to Pump through all stages, But what i really want is computer controlled. I want to be able to dump the grains in the mash, push a button, and it follow pre set directions.

For example:

Put grains in. Push button, it measures exact amount of starting water needed,brings it to the step temp needed, say 122 protein rest(i use A LOT of Oat Malt lol) then it automatically holds the temp at 122 for say 30-45 mins, then automatically brings the temp up to say 156 for mash, Holds it there for 60 mins, then Automatically pumps it to the boil kettle and automatically sparges. Then an alarm goes off to tell me its has hit 212, then an alarm automatically goes off to tell me when to add every hop addition depending on the pre programmed recipe.

That would be my Dream Set Up.

Buy a Sabco... :ban:

Buy a Sabco... :ban:

Oh i want a Sabco BUT, they don't have an electric set up that i am aware of and they still are not as fully automated as i want. I basically want to dump in the grains, and walk away and let the computer to all the work until it is time to add hops,cool and pitch yeast. I know I know good luck finding that lol

I use both : gas HLT (solenoid), electric RIMS and gas BK.
Gas is quicker but heats up my garage. In summer it gets a bit much. If I have the time I use the RIMS to heat up the strike water but if Im in a rush I'll use the gas HLT AND the RIMS (20L in the HLT and 10L in the MLT).
At some stage Im going to install an element in my BK. That way I can get to a boil quickly and then maintain with the element.
I may also install gas on the MLT for quicker decoction steps.

Oh i want a Sabco BUT, they don't have an electric set up that i am aware of and they still are not as fully automated as i want. I basically want to dump in the grains, and walk away and let the computer to all the work until it is time to add hops,cool and pitch yeast. I know I know good luck finding that lol

If you really want automation, there's a local store that sells beer already brewed, bottled, and put into nice easy to carry cardboard containers. :cross:

If you really want automation, there's a local store that sells beer already brewed, bottled, and put into nice easy to carry cardboard containers. :cross:

Roflmao, Not that automated, i do still want it to taste good after all lol and around here 99.9% of what you can buy is BMC.

Most of the desire to be automated is to save time, make more repeatable results,and save pain due to my bad back. Not to mention, to me personally, the most fun parts of brewing are creating the recipe and drinking the end result.Since i brew in a very ODD fashion using things that most brewers wouldn't, Such as an Oatmeal Stout using Oat Malt as the base malt and not just flaked oats as an adjunct(which was like drinking liquid silk). Don't get me wrong i enjoy the whole process, those are just the parts i like best and if i can automate the ones that are not my fav parts that's great.

OK, maybe you should check out the Brewmation Vance. Sounds up your alley. Here's my review thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/br...gic-vs-b3-but-comparisons-163149/#post1884346

but be careful. I like to type- a lot.:p

My rig is a full clean in place automated brewery. I use a shop vac for the mash tun and boil kettle and am in the process of making a hop basket for pellets. It's one low profile, very automated piece of kit. I'm awaiting software version 2.0 that will give me a programmable step mash schedule and hop addition alarms. Not really going for automated hop dumping, cause I think that's a little over the top. Got a pump on every tun and which makes CIP easy.

Bzzzzzt!

My Aluminum kettle (temale steamer) came with a false bottom of sorts that sits just above the elements. I bent both sides down to make a guard around the elements so I can BIAB with a nylon paint strainer.

I built a 3-keggle eHERMS system in my basement last winter. It was a fun and interesting project in itself, and the end result has been far better beer at much greater convenience, and no more frost-bitten toes. My old gas system is collecting dust in the garage. One thing to keep in mind: you don't have to commit to full automation at the outset. Instead, you can get the basic system up and running and add bells and whistles (e.g., automatic valves) later. I recommend this approach since you may find, after a bit of experience, that your actual wants and needs aren't what you anticipated. Have fun, it is definitely worth it!!!

I have a 5 gallon aluminum pot with a 5300 watt element. I run it off my 7500 watt Generac generator to do my strike and sparge water. It heats the water up to temp in minutes. I then use my 16 gallon aluminum pot as a boil kettle on a turkey fryer propane burner. I use an Igloo 5 gallon for an MLT. Everything is done manually. Some day I will build a 3 tier.

Latest posts

Back