Adding a cinnamon stick to secondary, too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2-D2

Reaction score
I've brewed the AHS Holiday Ale all-grain kit and after a week of primary I just took some samples. It's nice but a little bland (for my taste) on the spice notes at this point and also a touch dry. To kick it up a notch in secondary would you a) add a cinnamon stick (or maybe half if one whole stick is excessive) and a few whole cloves, or b) just leave it alone?

Also, read where someone added a half-gallon of apple cider to secondary. Would this maybe get me closer to what I'm looking for and add a touch of sweetness?

The cider will add more "tart" than sweet - not a bad idea, though. I think the cinnamon stick is a great idea. I'd use the whole stick, but then I love cinnamon. I'm thinking that in stick form, you might not extract that much flavor. I've always ground it before using.

I made that beer last year and added more spices to secondary because I thought it was bland...and it ended up being WAY too much cinnamon. Be careful!

That beer was good with brownies or milk chocolate, though....

I made that beer last year and added more spices to secondary because I thought it was bland...and it ended up being WAY too much cinnamon. Be careful!

That beer was good with brownies or milk chocolate, though....

Thanks! That was exactly the feedback I had hoped for. I purchased some pasteurized no-preservative apple cider this morning to possibly throw into secondary. I'm thinking of using a 1/4 gallon or 1/2 gallon. I'll draw another Ale sample and mix the cider proportionally to see if I like it.

Be careful on putting cloves in secondary. Cloves are powerful stuff!!

I know it. I make a wicked Sangria that uses cloves and cinnamon sticks. A few whole cloves go a long long way. And god forbid you accidently eat one :(

The cider will add more "tart" than sweet - not a bad idea, though. I think the cinnamon stick is a great idea. I'd use the whole stick, but then I love cinnamon. I'm thinking that in stick form, you might not extract that much flavor. I've always ground it before using.

Watch out when using ground cinnamon. Cinnamon is extremely bitter by itself, and I found this out the hard way when I made a Christmas ale last year. The powder just hung in the beer and made a really bad after-taste. I would stick with the whole cinnamon. Maybe boil a little water and throw the stick in the water while it's still hot to extract some flavor, then toss the water and stick into the secondary?

Thanks! That was exactly the feedback I had hoped for.

No problem. Just remember, you can always add more spices, but you can never take them away. IIRC, I just added a the same amount (and proportion) to the secondary as I had at flameout. I would say it tripled or quadrupled the flavor. The flavor IS there, it just isn't quite enough. I would add the same spices they sent you, but maybe only 1/4th the amount.

Watch out when using ground cinnamon. Cinnamon is extremely bitter by itself, and I found this out the hard way when I made a Christmas ale last year. The powder just hung in the beer and made a really bad after-taste. I would stick with the whole cinnamon. Maybe boil a little water and throw the stick in the water while it's still hot to extract some flavor, then toss the water and stick into the secondary?

I've used ground cinnamon a couple times in apple-cinnamon meads, and the result was wonderful. It is surely possible to use too much cinnamon, but I taste that as hot/spicy, not bitter. I guess YMMV.

Cinnamon sticks rather than powder for sure. I use two small or one large. My holiday spice beer is always a crowd pleaser. Just boil it (them) with a pint or so of water...let cool and add to secondary- rack beer on top. Goes great with orange peel, and unless you enjoy medicine, stay clear of the cloves

Just a note on this beer. Added one cinnamon stick, 4 whole cloves, and a half gallon of apple cider to secondary. Bottled about two weeks ago. I tried my first bottle last week and it definitely has the enhanced aroma profile I was looking for. Perhaps a bit strong for some but in my ballpark. The apple cider did add a ton of sourness and cloudiness. I'm gonna let it mellow a bit more.

Back