Splitting a batch. Question on secondary fermenter size.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
So I'm planning on splitting my 5 gallon batch in half. I'm planning on adding fruit to one half and leaving the second half as is. Currently the smallest fermenter I have is 5 gallons. Is it ok to rack the 2.5 gallons into a 5 gallon fermenter? I know there will be a lot of headspace, but I guess I don't have too much of a choice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

If you keg, you can try filling the carboy with CO2 before racking your beer into it. That way you have no oxygen and nothing to worry about. If you don't keg, then I'm not sure what you could do.

I personally wouldn't like that much headspace, but if you're careful and sanitary, I can't see it being a huge issue unless you're aging it for months.

I do keg. I racked everything to secondary and then blasted the carboy with some C02. So hopefully this will work. I was very careful not to shake the carboys around while moving either, so I'm sure it'll be fine. Thanks for the input!

Back