Dedicated Brew Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksmitty

Reaction score
Hoping to brew my first batch this weekend!

Can I use my wife's 5 gallon SS pot that she makes soup, chili, etc in or do I need to have a dedicated brew pot?

Thanks

yes you can...!!! just rinse any soap residue away!

but you'll want a dedicated 10 gallon pot before too long... ;)

As long as it doesn't smell like soup or chili you will be fine. I'd give it a nice scrub down just in case.

When you start brewing more, you will probably want a dedicated brew pot though.

My first couple of brews were made in my chile pot. I wanted to do bigger boils so I cleaned the peanut oil out of my turkey fryer pot and used that. All have been good beers.

if you're going to do a full boil, be careful. 5 gallons will likely boil over and create a huge mess. if you're brewing in the kitchen, that could make for a swift end to the hobby - fear the SWMBO!

As everyone has stated, just clean it well. I know it is not a necessity but I always sanitize my brewpot. I can't wait to get a 10 gal. I've been doing close to 5 gal boils, about 4.75. but due to the evaporation I always keep a small pot of boiling water to keep the boil as high as possible.

I just went to a 10 gal kettle.
I wish I would have a long time ago....full boil is nice

Latest posts

Back