Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Damage

Reaction score
I'll be moving an IPA to 2ndary this weekend, and I'll be dry hopping with cascade. I intend to leave the beer in 2ndary for 2 weeks, but dry hop for only one week, as I've read that cascade for >7 days can yeild vegetal flavors.

Is there any rule or preference as to putting the hops in for the 1st week or last week, or seven days in the middle or whatever?

I'll be bottle conditioning.

I would put them in in the last week before bottling. If you put them in any other time you will have to rack the beer an extra time.

I don't know that I would worry too much about having the dry hops in there for a couple of weeks though. I have a pound of dry hops in an IPA that I was planning in leaving in for 2 weeks before kegging.

Thanks!
It's pellets. I was going to use a bag so they won't be too messy. I'd attach a string if I need to pull them out before the 2 weeks is up.

Back