Drink with me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
I am NOT a big buyer of commercial micro brews.

I bought this small selection because (A) I wanted to know what everyone else was talking about (B) I wanted to try some of those that I never see mentioned here (C) My wife just bought $200 worth of make up, so i had the justification.

If I may, I would just like to witter on about my opinion of these beers as I try them. Feel free to add your comments, just don't expect me to listen. ;)

Perhaps I should explain first that I am IN NO WAY A CONNYTHINGY OF BEER!! I drink bitter, and I only really brew to drink biter. I like bitter. I can drink bitter till I die.....So my tastes are totally biased. I can do nothing about that, so it is up to you to deal wih it. Don't try to tell me that I should try putting strawberries in my beer, because I don't want to have to kill you. (Yes, I know, there is a raspberry lambic in there)

For better or worse, I bought these.

beer18.jpg

the port, oh yeah, I love port, but it ain't beer, move along.

Dead guy Rogue
Stones IPA
DFH 60 min IPA
Old Rasputin RIS
DFH Indian Brown Ale
Arrogant Bastard
Wychwood Scarecrow (Not in pic)

I tried the Scarecrow on Saturday. t was OK, but not to my tastes. I didn't enjoy the hop aroma (target... a bit tart), and it seemed a little over carbed to me. Somehow, it just didn't gel into a well balanced drinking experience.

Later that day I shared the Arrogant Bastard with my SIL. This was an excellent beer! It was strong and well balanced. It was a lot more malty than I come to expect from American craft brews. It was solid throughout in it's strenghth of character.My only complaint would be the price. I can buy good scotch ale for half the price that would give me equal pleasure to this brew....Also, I didn't appreciate how the wording on the bottle tried to tell me what o think! I am MUCH more arrogant than Arrogant Bastard!! ;)

I'll get to the others over the next week. I'm especially looking forward to the RIS :)

I have had a bottle of the Frambose sitting in the back of my fridge for well over a year now. I just can't bring myself to open it for some reason. I always pass it over.

I bought it more for my wife than myself. She had the Peche and really liked it. I guess, maybe I am just a little apprehensive that she'll really like that one too. It seems the only bneers she has liked so far are the ones that take the longest time to brew.

She's also fond of Duchesse too.

I can't wait to hear your review of that glass of water to the left! :)

I did a similar thing a few months ago and bought a bunch a different bottles I hadn't tried. That lambic & Stone IPA were two of them. I haven't tried the lambic yet but the Stone IPA was one of the best (if not the best) IPA I've ever had.
Enjoy them! It's fun trying new beers...you've got a nice line-up there :mug:

I can't wait to hear your review of that glass of water to the left! :)

Hehe. that ain't a glass of water, it's an english pint glass that I got from World market. (they have the crown stamp too) I included it in case anyone wanted to know that they had them. I kinda forgot to mention that.

Hehe. that ain't a glass of water, it's an english pint glass that I got from World market. (they have the crown stamp too) I included it in case anyone wanted to know that they had them. I kinda forgot to mention that.

Ahh - sweet glass! The picture looked like it was filled with water - maybe it was just me :drunk:

My wife just held a Mary Kay make up party on sunday to help my sister in law out. She later informed me spent around $70.00 so I too will be justified, just a matter of laying the cards down at the proper time. :D

I don't want to give you any predispositions about any of these beers... but, Old Rasputin RIS is my favorite beer of all time.

... I think you made a slight typo there, isn't that DFH India Brown Ale? Or is that something I don't know anything about?

I don't want to give you any predispositions about any of these beers... but, Old Rasputin RIS is my favorite beer of all time.

... I think you made a slight typo there, isn't that DFH India Brown Ale? Or is that something I don't know anything about?

typo fixed. I'm not used to typing the word brown after India. :eek:

Well, I finally caved in and had the Old Rasputin RIS tonight. Forstly, I am NOT a stout drinker by any stretch. I was just intrigued to try an RIS as I've never had one before so I have no point of reference for a comparison.

This beer was frigging awesome!!!:rockin:

I won't even bother trying to describe it's virtues in any kind of formal way. It rocks the senses too much for that bullcrap. I have a cold anyway, so nose etc is a bit lost on me at the moment.

First gulp was an interesting introduction. It took a short while for my pallette to adjust to this level of flavour.....After my brain realised what was about to come, I could almost feel my insides moving around and bracing for the impact of more of this stuff.

I can't say this is the best beer I've ever tasted because I'v had some great cask ales in the past that I caught at just the right time, in the right place. But this was bottled, so the consitency in quality should be there. So I WILL say that this is the best bottled beer I have ever tasted (So far)

One other thing I like about this brew is it's honesty. No fancy marketing gimmicks, pretentios sales babble or fancy bottle.....It's just a really damn good stout in a bottle, and can speak for itself.

This is one beer that I will buy every time I see it.

Back