Auber Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the Auber Instructions greek? I consider myself to be of reasonable intellegence, though others might disagree. I'm in technology professionally, and these instructions are not fun at all.:eek:

I'm trying to set up an Auber PID and Timer, for use with a single element. Any one have any advice or I am just dumb.;)

It's not just you. They are a little cryptic. You can muddle your way through though. I also resorted to calling their customer service number after my PID lost all parameters one brew day. The representative was really quite helpful, and walked me through a complete set-up thereby saving the day.

I'm not at home or I could send you a parameter set. Basically, I run the low alarm at a set point of about 185*F. This keeps the SSR energized at every temperature I mash at and CIP while providing a fail-safe so the RIMS tube doesn't boil in case of a malfunction. The alarm is always "alarming" until it hits 185. No help on the timer. I don't use that function.

SYL-2352

I'm also using one alarm. I'd love to have the alarm fire from the PID and the Timer, without using extra external switches.
I took a little time to illustrate a diagram that might fit your needs:

As always - click on the image to see a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper - (11" x 17")

I placed a note in the Legend:
Note: PID terminals 1 & 14 are for the setup of AL1 & AL2. Timer Terminals 6 & 8 are for the setup of the timer control functions. You must choose the function & alarm that you wish to achieve based on the way you set up these functions.

I hope this helps you.

P-J

PJ in the portable spa panel design we discussed, would you have the panel near the power source, or near the control box?. Also, what do you think about putting the resistor wire-eStop button on the top of the spa panel?

In my opinion, you should have the GFCI breaker as far from the brewing area as possible. If you have it near the brewing area, and it gets hosed down with wort in an accident, you'll have live wires entering the spa panel whether the GFCI tripped or not.

PJ in the portable spa panel design we discussed, would you have the panel near the power source, or near the control box?. Also, what do you think about putting the resistor wire-eStop button on the top of the spa panel?
Sorry about the delay in responding.

I'd recommend that you place the SPA Panel away from your brew rig. In other words, don't mount it on your brewery rig but use a reasonable length of cord from your control panel to the SPA Panel. Just mount it on the wall in your brew area. No?

Re: The E-Stop. It does not matter where you place it on your controller. You just want it in a spot where you can easily hit it with your hand when things appear to be going wrong in a hurry. After all, I call it an E-Stop which is Emergency-Stop.

Hope this helps & I'm wishing you the best.

P-J

Back