F the BS! HD 5500 BK element Myth Busting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so as long as we keep good movment around the hd 5500 element we should be fine in a bk am I corret

Code Rage did a test recently with I think a 4500W HD element and he said there was no scorching...

That is all that I can say:confused:

I thought people said that it scorched grains if you used them in the mash... am i wrong? I just use propane to boil and i have to clean off crap that has stuck to the bottom on every brew but, I don't notice it.

In the BK I used a 5500W ULWD element and there was no scorch issues, nothing to clean off the element.

People often use the LWD elements with no issues whatsoever.

Some people claimed scorching the wort with HWD elements, but I have never seen it.

CodeRage now sayes he had luck with the HWD elements in the boil.

I forget our phone conversations LKHA, did you tell me why you chose the HWD elements?

Did not know better at the time will look around for a different one for the bk

first boil with the 5500 no scorching but some build up on the element. Boil at 65% in 40deg garage with no problem. 2nd keggel here now will try to find a ULWD element and use for boil and usw original for HLT.

first boil with the 5500 no scorching but some build up on the element. Boil at 65% in 40deg garage with no problem. 2nd keggel here now will try to find a ULWD element and use for boil and usw original for HLT.

LKHA, did you try calling me tonight? It looked like your #, no message though

i just bought a HWD 2000W 120V element for a heat stick to aid in the boil of my gas stovetop. it should be ready tuesday for a brew day.

I'm an extract brewer at the moment, is there any way to test this stick for scorching before using it in a batch? are there any physical identifiers associated with scorching? residue on the heat stick? etc?

i just bought a HWD 2000W 120V element for a heat stick to aid in the boil of my gas stovetop. it should be ready tuesday for a brew day.

I'm an extract brewer at the moment, is there any way to test this stick for scorching before using it in a batch? are there any physical identifiers associated with scorching? residue on the heat stick? etc?

I use two of these elements in my CB20 system, no scorching, no problems, go for it.

used it yesterday for steeping and boil, and WOW this thing is awesome! didn't notice any burnt stuff on the element. boiled the wort better by itself than the gas range burner did. simply amazing!!

Hey CR, slightly off topic: how is the element attached to the kettle? I was thinking about having a 1" NPT nut welded on, but yours doesn't quite look like that.

Thanks,

-Joe

Older thread, but if you're interested in some step-by-step instructions on using these 5500W ULWD elements in a weldless setup see what I put together here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements

Hope it helps!

For what it's worth I've also never had any issues with scorching using these 5500W elements.

Kal

One reason to use ULWD elements (the curvy one in the first post of this thread) that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that they won't break if fired up "dry" (not immersed in water).

When a regular element (like the straight silver coloured one in the first post of this thread) is fired up "dry" the element will pop fairly quickly (usually before you notice your mistake!) as there is no water to dissipate the heat. While nobody means to fire up an element by mistake, mistakes do happen. Using ULWD elements provides you with a little bit of insurance against these human errors.

Popping an element is about the last thing you want given that you've likely already milled your grain and have everything ready to go.

Kal

Back