Cleaning advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devantf

Reaction score
So I had a party and cooked up some crawfish in my brew pot. First time doing that and after i cleaned the pot it still smells like seafood. What should I do to more properly clean the pot?? Will I get off flavors in my beer if I cant get the smell out?

Thanks!

The first rule I follow, I never use my brewpot for anything but beer.

I believe that you can get oxyclean or other cleaner, soak it for a day, and the smell should be gone.

If Stainless I'd do as suggested and fill it with HOT water and oxyclean and let it sit (Make sure to mix the oxyclean really well so you don't have any particles). If it is aluminum you may want to just try boiling some water in it again to see if that will help. If all else fails you can take a scrubby to it with baking soda, after that though you'll need to re-passivate it by boiling water in it or putting it in the oven at ~300 for half an hour or so.

Unless it's aluminum then don't use oxiclean.

+1 on this! Any oxygenated cleaner in an aluminum pot will oxidize the pot badly...pot turns black at the water line! There are ways of fixing this though. If it's an AL pot soak with some mild scentless dish detergent, scrub, soak, repeat.

it is aluminum - thanks for letting me know oxiclean will hurt. im going to go for boiling then soaking.
hopefully my next batch isnt crawfish flavored!

Back