Cider with Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sager Brewing Co.

Reaction score
Will Cider brewed with Nottingham dry yeast get a krausen? I left some head space just in case. So far its remained slow fermenting with not too much activity on the surface, but I am intentionally keeping it cool, 65-68, hoping for a low flocculation and to keep it on the sweet side.

Now that brings up another question, if it stalls out at say 1.010, and then I bottle carb it, will it over carb? Or even blow?

SG was 1.058, just straight fresh pressed juice, nothing else added.

If I had to guess, yes on the krauzen since it's an ale yeast.

As for the FG, if you take a few measurements over a couple days when you think it's done and it stays constant, you can be pretty sure that it's done fermenting. Then just bottle as usual.

Just my guesses.

Sager, I just did this very thing, so I can say the answer is Yes. Not a really thick one, but about an inch thick and very foamy. Although I am fermenting at room temperature right now, my mine may have been a little more vigorous than yours will be.

Odd, because I have a batch of this going right now, and it didn't have any krauzen to speak of. Then again, my og was 1.050 (straight juice, no sugar), so perhaps there wasn't enough to really get it going. I haven't checked the gravity yet, but hopefully the lack of krauzen doesn't mean my yeast stalled.

I think (my experience only...not scientifically based) that the protein and unfermentable starch content of the juice has more to do with the formation of krausen than the yeast! My Braggot built a nice head with D-47, and that same yeast makes literally NO foam on a show mead.

If the final product wont' hold a "head" I'm guessing Krausen isn't much of a concern.

I can pretty much garentee you that your cider will not stall at 1.010. I've done 3 batches of cider with notty now, and every time it ends between 1.002-1.000. I wouldn't dare bottle at 1.010, especally if you're going to throw extra sugar in for bottle carbing.

If you want a sweeter cider you can always package pasteurize after waiting sufficient time for the bottle conditioning to do it's thing. Depending on how much your doing or how many bottles you have it shouldn't be difficult. Time consuming maybe....

Back