HOPS in DIRT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
Got my rhizomes from thethymegarden.com.

They looked big and healthy. The Magnum looked like it bordered on Jumbo!

I have them in a pot in my basement with Miracle Grow seed starting mix.

Yes, I know they aren't seeds, it is just low on fertilizer.

In case they sprout, they are near my pepper plants under grow lights.

I can't wait to get them outside!!

Did you say Magnum?

2113-img_0976.jpg

The picture is of ONE Magnum bine (out of the four that were on the plant)

Magnum flowers will have tiny leaves in them some of the time.

wow :eek: thats a lot of hops from 1 bine. I bought 2 magnum rhizomes from the same company If they turn out like that I'm gonna have a crazy harvest in a few years. I haven't been this excited since christmas when I was a kid. :mug:

david_42 said:
Did you say Magnum?

The picture is of ONE Magnum bine (out of the four that were on the plant)

Magnum flowers will have tiny leaves in them some of the time.

I thought you left the plants intact after harvest so they would put energy back into the roots? Not trying to out you here, David, it's just that it made sense to me so it's what I'm going to do.

Fingers, you do leave the plant intact. Well, kinda. Those are cut off at the crown. After the bines put out their cones they basically go to sleep waiting for next year.

EvilTOJ said:
Fingers, you do leave the plant intact. Well, kinda. Those are cut off at the crown. After the bines put out their cones they basically go to sleep waiting for next year.

So you're saying that leaving the entire plant intact has no value? This would certainly influence my design if I didn't have to lower the plant without cutting it. I was under the impression that the plant was still actively alive during and after harvest. The cones are still green after all.

Leaving the plant in tact does have some value.
Outside of the brewing aspects, I like hops for the privacy fence concept.
Needless to say, I leave the bines up and harvest the cones when they're ready.
It seems like the plant does kinda shut down after that.
When it starts to get real cold, I trim those bines down to the ground and cover them with some mulch.

cheezydemon said:
Got my rhizomes from thethymegarden.com.

They looked big and healthy. The Magnum looked like it bordered on Jumbo!

I have them in a pot in my basement with Miracle Grow seed starting mix.

Yes, I know they aren't seeds, it is just low on fertilizer.

In case they sprout, they are near my pepper plants under grow lights.

I can't wait to get them outside!!

Dirt is what is under your finger nails. Dirt is what you wash off your car.

You plant in SOIL.

A Landsacapers lament. :)

Leaving the bines intact allows the plant to replenish the crown with the starches and nutrients it needs for the next growing season. Once the leaves have died back the plant has gone dormant and there is no need to leave the material on the trellis.

I'd be better to trim it down and turn it into the soil or compost it.

Would anyone care to clue me in to when I might expect my rhizomes to sprout following planting?

I mean, is there a point, say 4 weeks, that I need to be concerned if I've seen nothing breaking the surface of the soil?

I've only had one in the soil for about 6 days now, and the other one potted up for about 3.

Thanks,
Matt

Got mine in today as well. I totally winged it for my 1st year. 7 different varieties planted about 5 ft. apart. I plan on just letting them crawl up my privacy fence. Now for the big question....will they grow in the Texas heat?

ma2brew said:
Would anyone care to clue me in to when I might expect my rhizomes to sprout following planting?

I mean, is there a point, say 4 weeks, that I need to be concerned if I've seen nothing breaking the surface of the soil?

I've only had one in the soil for about 6 days now, and the other one potted up for about 3.

Thanks,
Matt
I moved my potted bine cutting into the house on Sunday night, because we were expected to get an overnight low near freezing, and I didn't want my Nugget to get cold;) . Anyways, I was heading out the door this morning and figured I could move the pot back outside, low and behold, there's a sprout! Looks about like a bean sprout, and protruding out of the soil about .75-1". WooHoo! Potted this cutting on the 16th and here it is a week and a half later I've got a sprout.

The rhizome I planted outside in the ground hasn't shown any signs of life yet, though:( . I hope it's just taking its time.

ma2brew said:
I moved my potted bine cutting into the house on Sunday night, because we were expected to get an overnight low near freezing, and I didn't want my Nugget to get cold;) . Anyways, I was heading out the door this morning and figured I could move the pot back outside, low and behold, there's a sprout! Looks about like a bean sprout, and protruding out of the soil about .75-1". WooHoo! Potted this cutting on the 16th and here it is a week and a half later I've got a sprout.

The rhizome I planted outside in the ground hasn't shown any signs of life yet, though:( . I hope it's just taking its time.

The actual sprouting process is dependent on soil temperature. When the soil temp is right, the plant "wakes up" and get to climbing.:mug:

Flowering, on the other hand" is light cycle dependent. When the days are sufficiently lit long enough, the plant will bloom.:rockin:

Back