First All Grain Coming Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
This isn't the standard first all grain, already had one of those.

So, I bought enough grain for my next to beer (hefeweizen and APA) from AHS. I arrived today. I couldn't resit, I open the bag of 10L crystal and had a taste, "Wow tastes like grape nuts and about as hard...." Turns out grape nuts is mated barley and wheat, interesting.

OK so my question:
I bought the grain from AHS. Do need to weigh it? I don't have a big scale, can I just trust AHS. I am thinking it won't make much difference if it is off a little but has anyone had problems with AHS being way off? (Over I'm sure ;) )

Thanks

Beerrific said:
This isn't the standard first all grain, already had one of those.

So, I bought enough grain for my next to beer (hefeweizen and APA) from AHS. I arrived today. I couldn't resit, I open the bag of 10L crystal and had a taste, "Wow tastes like grape nuts and about as hard...." Turns out grape nuts is mated barley and wheat, interesting.

OK so my question:
I bought the grain from AHS. Do need to weigh it? I don't have a big scale, can I just trust AHS. I am thinking it won't make much difference if it is off a little but has anyone had problems with AHS being way off? (Over I'm sure ;) )

Thanks

I've never had a problem with Austin Home Brew and the weight of the kit. If it's milled, you should be good to go.

Now, if you keep munching on the malt, your beer is gonna be light. :D

EdWort said:
Now, if you keep munching on the malt, your beer is gonna be light. :D

I just had a little. Didn't want to break my teeth and I will fight the urge to have any for breakfast in the morning.

Beerrific said:
Turns out grape nuts is mated barley and wheat, interesting.

Yeah, Papzian had a Grape Nuts recipe in one of his books, and there have been a few threads about it here, too. Eating the cereal while you're mashing an AG batch is an interesting experience; makes you feel like you're eating the mash.

Back