Shock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
I got another kit in the mail to day. The yeast is warm and the ice pack is melted. Will putting the yeast in the fridge shock and kill the yeast. I want to brew late to night maybe tomorrow.

Make a starter!

I'll repeat - make a starter!

Make a starter now, brew tomorrow. You should usually make a starter whenever using liquid yeast, but if you have questions about the yeast's viability it's the only way to know for sure that it's good.

I dont have DME. can i just stick it in the fridge and wait till tomorow. The first AHS kit did not have a starter and it worked out fine

You'll be fine. My yeast for my last batch I picked up before I went to the park. Yeast sat in the car, in the sun, for a couple of hours before I went and got lunch, and it sat in the car for about another hour, and then took it home and put it in the fridge. Used it about a week later and to be completely honest, it was my fastest and most active ferment yet. I would bet money that you will be fine.

Of course, making a starter sure wouldnt hurt anything.

I'll agree about the starter. It could save you a bit of worry. My last batch, I had liquid yeast. Something about it didn't look quite right, so I held off brewing for a couple days until I could get some backup yeast. I was right about waiting. The yeast didn't take off and I had to resort to my backup. If I didn't wait, I'd have had that wort sitting there for about 3 days. The LHBS isn't open Monday or Tuesday. It's cheap insurance, and will save a lot of worrying.

Back