purple/black color in muslin dry hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
Today I racked to a secondary and dry hopped with some amarillo/simcoe hops. Its been sitting in the fermenter for about 8 hours now. I went down to check on it and noticed this small patch of purple/black color in the bag. Anyone know what this could be? :confused: a bit stumped as to whats going on here. I soak the muslin bag for 1/2 hour in sanitizer before putting the hops in the bag.

WAOJY.jpg

Any help/info would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Bro - I think most of us are stumped. I'd get it out of the fermenter, take a look, and repitch your hops if necessary.

Cheers!

Could be a reaction with the sanitizer if you used iodophor. If you used grain at all, there very well could be starches floating around in there. Iodine turns bluish indigo in the presence of starch.

I did not use iodophor. At this point it looks like I'm in for the ride to the end. Trying to get the muslin bag out of the carboy would seem like more of a hassle than it's worth. At the rate and size "it" appeared (within a few hours to that size, hasn't gotten bigger) I see no harm since nothing else has developed. If i'd try to snake that out, I'd risk contamination and that just doesn't seem to pan out as a good idea. Being the high hop content, color, and size i doubt it's any type infection. Keeping my fingers crossed that the beer comes out fine! Still, I wonder WTF is that?! :drunk:

Looks just like black mold blotch,but minus the furry part. Not to mention,it's under the webbing of the hop sack. That's def a new one.

I did not use iodophor. At this point it looks like I'm in for the ride to the end. Trying to get the muslin bag out of the carboy would seem like more of a hassle than it's worth. At the rate and size "it" appeared (within a few hours to that size, hasn't gotten bigger) I see no harm since nothing else has developed. If i'd try to snake that out, I'd risk contamination and that just doesn't seem to pan out as a good idea. Being the high hop content, color, and size i doubt it's any type infection. Keeping my fingers crossed that the beer comes out fine! Still, I wonder WTF is that?! :drunk:

So wort happened? After two days in my secondary, I have noticed a similar spot on one of the two bags of hops. Did you make it to bottling? Are you still alive????? :confused:

Stumped... It sounds dumb but are you two certain the blotches weren't on the bags to begin with?

Not 100%, but pretty sure. I boiled the bags befor using them and did not notice anything. Maybe a chemical reaction of some kind? I'll watch and see if it gets any larger. I hope to bottle in a few days.

Still don't know what it was in my case. Bottled and conditoned my batch. Tasted great. I still think it was from the use of pellets. A high concentration of hops, much like a grass stain. That's the only thing I could think of.

Back