ADT Security Blunder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day our ADT Security alarm system went haywire. The siren started going off for no apparent reason, and punching in our code didn't turn it off. We called customer service, and they showed no sign of trouble coming from our system. I confirmed with them that it wasn't just an unrelated smoke alarm or CO detector, then I cycled power to the system several times with no success at fixing the issue. We set up a time for a technician to come to the house and take a look.

To ADT's credit, they were very cordial on the telephone, seemed knowledgeable, and were prompt about setting up and confirming (twice) our service appointment. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with that. Also, the technician, who showed up on time, was a very nice guy. Here comes the bad part...

The technician confirmed that our system indeed had a problem, most likely stemming from a power surge (thunderstorms have been common lately). He concluded that we had multiple problems: the alarm control panel needed replacement, and the telephone distribution block (in our "smart panel") was faulty. Prior to his showing up, all of our telephones worked, and our DSL internet service was up and running. After his "troubleshooting," none of our phone jacks worked, and our DSL went down. He offered to "fix" the problem by bypassing the distribution block, requiring multiple wires/connectors to be cut. I politely declined and told him I'd figure it out later. He also didn't have any parts with him, in particular, the ones he "always carries" ...like a spare control panel that would've fixed our problem!!! This guy drove over an hour to my house to screw up my phone lines and didn't bring any #$%ing parts with him!!!

Turns out he cut the line to the phone jack we use most often, then connected the telephone line-in to the wrong jack. It took me 5 minutes to figure that out, reconnect the line-in, and find out that the cut wire was the one we needed most. A quick trip to Lowe's for a tool I've always wanted, and our "faulty" distribution block was back in service, working properly.

ADT will be calling us to schedule another service appointment. I hope they send someone who is competent this time. I know next to NOTHING about phone lines and alarm systems, and I managed to fix the "professional's" troubleshooting blunder in less time than it took him to screw it up.

Dammit.

Besides this how has their service been? Also what do you pay per month for service?

We pay somewhere around $25/month for their service. Other than the idiot technician, I've been quite happy with ADT.

I have no plans to change services...I was just frustrated and vented in the "mindless mumblings" category.

:off: Off topic in that it isn't about ADT but rather fixing the so called 'proffessionals" screw ups.

Wife and I decided to use a prof tax person this year as my wife is now an independent contractor and has to pay her own taxes quarterly. I alway did the taxes my self with no problems but since we had to figure out stuff like mileage and depreciation on the car etc I figured it would be worth it to have a CPA do it. We're sitting there going over all the forms and the woman tells us we are paying almost 4 grand in taxes:eek: I start looking at all the forms and there was no where that they added in any of her deductions. I had to show the CPA where her mistakes were. Her response, 'well the program puts all that in for me, I must have forgoten to check the box to add it to the 1040'

I don't think we'll be going back next year.

Yuri,
I'm disappointed in you man. You're a DIY roll model and I'd expect you to have built your own system. ADT is a rip off and they hire mostly entry level DeVry grads to install (yeah, I went to Devry too but that's why I know to questions the ability of most of them).

I installed my own system for about $500 in parts and I pay $11 a month for monitoring. I own the system. I can disconnect monitoring whenever I please and they don't have any 5 year contracts. I can reprogram, add zones, etc without calling them. Once you have a company's "freebie" system and you disconnect monitoring (their cash cow) after your contract is up, they either pull your panel out or leave it stranded without giving you the installer code.

Alarms are not rocket science. If you can wire a Ranco, you're 80% there.

We recently moved into our house and the previous owners had a security system, ended the monitoring, but forgot to give us the code to deactivate. We were cooking one night and it got smoky, the alarm went off, and we could not turn it off. I ended up snipping the wire to the speaker, finishing dinner, then unplugged the thing.

Bobby_M said:
Yuri,
I'm disappointed in you man. You're a DIY roll model and I'd expect you to have built your own system.
Sorry...I know...and I'm probably capable...but...

This system came with the house, and my bank gives me a discount with ADT. We paid outright for the control panel(s), so those will stay should we discontinue ADT's service.

Bobby_M said:
Yuri,
I'm disappointed in you man. You're a DIY roll model and I'd expect you to have built your own system. ADT is a rip off and they hire mostly entry level DeVry grads to install (yeah, I went to Devry too but that's why I know to questions the ability of most of them).

I installed my own system for about $500 in parts and I pay $11 a month for monitoring. I own the system. I can disconnect monitoring whenever I please and they don't have any 5 year contracts. I can reprogram, add zones, etc without calling them. Once you have a company's "freebie" system and you disconnect monitoring (their cash cow) after your contract is up, they either pull your panel out or leave it stranded without giving you the installer code.

Alarms are not rocket science. If you can wire a Ranco, you're 80% there.

You threw down the glove...
There's still room in your siggy.
Where's the video?:D

Sorry, I installed the system before I got the miniDV and no, I won't rip it out to reinstall on video.

By the way, the monitoring company I use is Nextalarm.com

You can log in, put the system into test, verify zones work, have the system email you on certain events, etc. So much functionality for the price. Yes, they're very responsive too. They're calling within 2 minutes of a trip.

Beerrific said:
We recently moved into our house and the previous owners had a security system, ended the monitoring, but forgot to give us the code to deactivate. We were cooking one night and it got smoky, the alarm went off, and we could not turn it off. I ended up snipping the wire to the speaker, finishing dinner, then unplugged the thing.

And that's the problem. Now that you don't know the user code, you need the installer code to change it. If it was installed by ADT or similar, they won't give it to you unless you sign on for a multiyear monitoring contract. The good news is that all you have to replace is the main control panel and maybe the keypad if you change manufacturers ($200). The hard part, running wires, is done.

Bobby_M said:
Sorry, I installed the system before I got the miniDV and no, I won't rip it out to reinstall on video.

Anytime I get a project idea, I just want to get started and get it done. I can't imagine taking time out to video it. I don't know how you have the patience.

Back