Homebrew Beer filter. No more secondary Ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take on filtering is that stripping out every bit of live yeast "kills" the beer. You don't want to do that. The whole point of home brewing is to end up with a healthy, vital, living beer. Whenever I drink even a single pasteurized, filtered commercial beer, I have a hangover the next day. Even decent commercial beers like Guinness and Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager.

Completely filtering out the yeast and then force carbonating produces a different carbonation than bottle or keg conditioning with yeast. With natural yeast conditioning, the CO2 is more highly dissolved and the bubbles are smaller, creating a better mouth feel and taste.

The way to produce a clear beer that's naturally carbonated is to use a highly flocculant yeast for the conditioning phase, such as Safale T-58. After racking to secondary and cold crashing out the main yeast, bottle or keg with your priming sugar and pitch with a small amount of a highly flocculant yeast strain.

The highly flocculant yeast will settle out fully giving you a clear beer and the other advantage is that carbonation will occur much quicker when you re-innoculate with fresh yeast. Your beer may not be as crystal clear as the over-processed junk that comes from the big commercial breweries but your living beer product will have more flavor and better health qualities. When conditioning in a keg the first slug will contain most of the yeast and the rest of it should be relatively clear.

My wife and I are vegetarians so I won't use isinglass or gelatin in my beers. Agar and pea protein are two vegetarian fining agents that I may experiment with in the future for light beers. But for most ales using Irish Moss (or Whirlfloc) in the boil plus cold settling is enough to produce an acceptably clear homebrew that tastes great and retains all the vital nutritional qualities.

Can anyone show any pictures of before/after filtering with a 0.1 micron filter?

The lack of clarity in my beer is rather frustrating. I've used gelatine and Kieselsol recently to no avail. Cooling to
0.4 C.

Leaving gelatine for 1 week and Kieselsol for 3 days. 10ml gelatin 20% and 10ml Kieselsol in around 15 or so litres of beer.

Wow. I got a tour of Pyramid Ale House and saw they used a filter for their beer. I looked online and found this little beauty:
http://www.filterstore.com/beer.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on the impications of what this could mean? Does anyone use one? Does anyone not use one but know about them? It sounds really interesting.

I imagine secondary fermentation phase could be reduced or avoided this way.

In my own experience,this type of filter didn't work at all,I was cool crushing the beer for a week,then filtered it through 1 micron ,and no difference at all,the only filter that works for me is the plate filter folks used for wine ,sometimes it is called the Ferrari wine plate filter.

Back