Recipe Request - Citra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do a pale ale next with Citra dominating the smell/taste. Does anyone have a tried and true all-grain recipe? Don't have time to buy a pre-made ingredients kit, as I would like to brew Labor Day. Need to get to the LHBS tomorrow or Friday to get my ingredients. Thanks in advance.

I have a 4 oz of Citra hops in my fridge which I want to put to good use. I searched web for nice Citra Pale Ale and here is what I came up with (have not tried it myself but looks like a solid recipe)

Citra Pale Ale

11 lbs Pale Malt
0.75 Crystal 40
0.5 Carapils

Mash @ 155 for 60 min. SG=1.056

0.5 oz Citra (AA%=12) - 60 min
0.5 oz Citra - 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade (AA%=6) - 15 min
0.5 oz Citra - 0 min
0.5 oz Cascade - 0 min
0.5 oz Citra & 0.5 oz Cascade - dryhop
IBU = 35

My first citra APA I used citra for bitter, flavor, aroma, dry hop. It smelled just like cat piss.

My second citra APA i used columbus to bitter, columbus and citra for the flavor addition, and citra for the aroma addition. Very pleased with the results. Nice lemon from the citra, and not catty at all.

All citra does not work for me. Citra needs to be paired with another hop. I do a brew with Citra and Amarillo. The firt atempt was about 50/50 but I figured out that Citra could only be 30% maybe 40% or it had a weird flavor. But it tastes great when used in the right proportions.

beergolf said:
All citra does not work for me. Citra needs to be paired with another hop. I do a brew with Citra and Amarillo. The firt atempt was about 50/50 but I figured out that Citra could only be 30% maybe 40% or it had a weird flavor. But it tastes great when used in the right proportions.

This. Ive tried all citra and it can get overpowering. A little bit late in the boil or dry hop fits my tastes well.

Citra Pale Ale

9lbs. Pale Malt
.75 lbs. Crystal 40L
.5 lbs. White Wheat
.5 lbs. Carapils

Mash at 153 for 60 mins

.5 oz Magnum @60
.5 oz Citra @15
1 oz Citra @5
1 oz Citra @dry hop

This turns out AMAZING! Just the right amount of bitterness with great Citra aroma/flavor.

Here's one I brewed a couple weeks ago. It's kegged and aging now; I think it turned out great. IBUs and OG might be a bit high for what you're looking for, but this is a good place to start. Also, I'd maybe substitute something a little more mellow for the bittering hops... maybe some Centennials would balance nicely. Definitely agree with everyone else here that you can't use Citra alone, but they're a great aroma addition.

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)

Mash @ 154 for 60 mins

60 min boil

1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min)
0.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min)

OG 1.066
FG 1.016
ABV 6.6
SRM 8.7
IBU 58.7

I have one for an IPA. It was hopped with Citra and Amarillo, and is one of the best beers I've ever made. Especially for one I created. Let me know if you want it and I can post. Obviously not an APA.

I made a Citra APA that I called Honey Mango APA due to Citra's mango notes. It was a REALLY good beer:

9.5 lbs Pale 2 row
0.5 lbs Honey Malt
1.0 oz Citra @ 60
0.5 oz Citra @ 15
0.5 oz Citra @ 5
Nottingham Yeast

Mash @ 158 for 60 min
Mash out @ 170 for 10 min
60 min boil

Subscribed. I also have 4oz of Citra that I don't know what to do with. I thought o doing a Gumballhead-style hoppy wheat using Citra instead of Amarillo and am getting some good ideas here. Cheers!

I made a Citra APA that I called Honey Mango APA due to Citra's mango notes. It was a REALLY good beer:

9.5 lbs Pale 2 row
0.5 lbs Honey Malt
1.0 oz Citra @ 60
0.5 oz Citra @ 15
0.5 oz Citra @ 5
Nottingham Yeast

Mash @ 158 for 60 min
Mash out @ 170 for 10 min
60 min boil

what are your AA% on Citra? or may be post total IBU for this recipe, I really want to try it. Thanks.

I got my Citra from Farmhouse Brewing. Their Citra is 12.4% AA. I'm at work, but I think I remember that my total IBUs were around 65-68 or so.

I got my Citra from Farmhouse Brewing. Their Citra is 12.4% AA. I'm at work, but I think I remember that my total IBUs were around 65-68 or so.

I got mine there too, so must be same. Oh boy, 65 IBUs is a IPA territory, I might scale down 60 min addition to 0.5 oz, not a big fan of bitter or highly hopped beers

I have a 4 oz of Citra hops in my fridge which I want to put to good use. I searched web for nice Citra Pale Ale and here is what I came up with (have not tried it myself but looks like a solid recipe)

Citra Pale Ale

11 lbs Pale Malt
0.75 Crystal 40
0.5 Carapils

Mash @ 155 for 60 min. SG=1.056

0.5 oz Citra (AA%=12) - 60 min
0.5 oz Citra - 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade (AA%=6) - 15 min
0.5 oz Citra - 0 min
0.5 oz Cascade - 0 min
0.5 oz Citra & 0.5 oz Cascade - dryhop
IBU = 35

I came across and put together a recipe very similar to this. I realize I can't do all Citra. The only difference with the above is that I'm going with an extra 0.5 oz Cascade to dry hop so I can just buy and use 2 oz each of Citra and Cascade. Thanks all for the input.

imtrashed said:
I came across and put together a recipe very similar to this. I realize I can't do all Citra. The only difference with the above is that I'm going with an extra 0.5 oz Cascade to dry hop so I can just buy and use 2 oz each of Citra and Cascade. Thanks all for the input.

Hey if you Google 'citra pale ale' I think first search that comes up is this recipe in one's guy blog, he swears by it, bcbj judge evaluated his beer and had great scores, I planning to try this one soon too

Sent from GT-I9100M

8 lb 2-row
2lb Vienna
.5lb 40l Crystal

Mash at 150-152

Use enough hop at 60min to get to 40 ibu then
.5 oz 15min
.5 oz 5 min
.5 oz 0min
.5 oz Dry hop

Got a chance to look at my notes.....I actually lowered the hops to fit it into the APA category:

.75 citra @ 60
.25 citra @ 15
.25 citra @ 5

That gave me 45.2 IBUs

Citra Pale Ale

9lbs. Pale Malt
.75 lbs. Crystal 40L
.5 lbs. White Wheat
.5 lbs. Carapils

Mash at 153 for 60 mins

.5 oz Magnum @60
.5 oz Citra @15
1 oz Citra @5
1 oz Citra @dry hop

This turns out AMAZING! Just the right amount of bitterness with great Citra aroma/flavor.

Brewing this next weekend as my first Pale using citra! I'll use my mini mash-tun that holds max 3 lbs of grain. Should I just keep it at the grain bill listed? Or increase it a bit? I was thinking:

1lb Crystal 40L
.75 lbs White Wheat
.75 Carapils

Thanks!

Back